Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists, would you prefer there be an afterlife?

Would you actually prefer that you some how would be able to survive death and live eternally with all those who have died as well?

Or is the idea eternal unconsciousness more pleasing?

dont flame please, Im being serious

38 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I find a comfort in having a beginning and an end.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Likely I would not. I mean, it could be set up in a way that would make me want it to exist, but it would have to be very, VERY specifically designed, and that makes it far more likely that the afterlife would be worse than eternal unconsciousness.

• 1 decade ago

I actually would prefer to live forever, I know it's an opinion that will make me stick out among atheists and that it's a childish desire. I still haven't fully shaken the fear of death, honestly.

Edit: I've read the other comments and it's not as uncommon as I thought. I know that before I've read through many answers and most atheists said that eternal life would take the meaning out of our finite life and that they'd not prefer to live forever.

Edit: Sorry, meant to say that they say it is the fact that our life is finite that gives it meaning.

• 1 decade ago

I would love to live forever. But I am 100% sure that the idea of eternal life is a human fantasy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well this is a strange thought. We always assume that death is permanent and when we die that is it no after life.

Christians believe that heaven is permanent and eternal.

What if it wasn't, how would we know that. what if there was an afterlife (nothing like aka christian heaven) but it only lasted a set amount of time like our life.

Isn't the concept of enternity just a man made though too.

Just weird mind boggling thoughts, I love philosophy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm honestly not sure. I know there could be no joy equal to seeing my lost loved ones again if it were possible, but living eternally doesn't sound very appealing. Maybe it'd depend on if human shortcomings also survived? Sorry. I just don't really know...

• 1 decade ago

I'd like a temporary afterlife. Maybe another hundred years or so. Eternity would eventually get boring.

• 1 decade ago

Wouldn't Santa be swell? Do I wish I had the reduced mental capacity to believe in him still, even after being confronted by the complete lack of evidence to support his existence? Ha, no I am not that sad a soul.

• CC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I would prefer there to be an eternal life. I would prefer it if I were king of the world. However, my wishful thinking has very little to do with reality.

Source(s): An atheist perspective.
  • 1 decade ago

The problem is, if one is an atheist, then he would be living in Hell for not believing, wouldn't he? I personally would prefer eternal sleep. A bigger question is, if you truly believed in heaven and hell, why wouldn't you take a vow of poverty since 80 years is such a short time compared to eternity.

• 1 decade ago

I would prefer alot of things that doesn't make them worth believing in or living for.

I would prefer starbucks on every corner

I would prefer gas not cost 4 dollars

I would prefer women not wear tops

I would prefer it not be 100% humidity in Houston, Texas but hey it's not gonna happen

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.