what is reverse psychology and why does it work?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Reverse psychology is when you tell the person to do the opposite of what you want them to do. It usually works either because the person is trying to be defiant of the other person's wishes, or the person using reverse psychology will go so far in the opposite direction of what they want the person to do, that the person ends up defending the opposite side. For example, the racist might find themselves defending tolerance if someone suggests that we should kill off everyone who isn't of their race.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Reverse Psychology

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Reverse Phone Number Lookup - http://PhoneSearchGo.oruty.com/?mze
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is reverse psychology and why does it work?

Source(s): reverse psychology work: https://tr.im/XwYHX
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Reverse psychology is the term that describes the outcome where advocacy of one course of action persuades another person to do the opposite.

Homer's Brain: Don't you get it? You've gotta use reverse psychology.

Homer: That sounds too complicated.

Homer's Brain: OK, don't use reverse psychology.

Homer: All right, I will!

It works b/c people want to do what they want and not what their told to do.. so thats what you make them believe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

reverse psychology is manipulating your choice of words to play a little game on someone to make them think you mean something when you want the opposite. the reason you can say one thing but pursuade someone to go in the other direction is that people don't like being told what to do or what to think. if you can get the other person to "think" they are making all the decisions then you have successfully used reverse psychology. (ie: you really want the cherry popsicle and you actually say you really want the banana flavour cuz it's amazing, then the other person might say "ya i want banana too, then you say "ohh, okay fine, i'll be nice and give you banana" then you have cherry. yay.

• 1 decade ago

reverse psychology is using the opposite mind set to get to a certain goal.

example; i want an apple, but i have an orange. my little sister has an orange. i say, 'doesnt this apple look so good? its bright red and shiny. itll taste as great as it looks' in reality i dont want the apple. im just saying this i dont mean it. since my little sister heard me she'll want the apple because i want it. therefore we'll trade and i'd get what i wanted in the first place.

it works most of the time.

• 1 decade ago

Reverse Psychology in its simple form is to make a person do what you want by telling them you don't want them to.

Its kinda like ordering a child to not eat a cookie, which just makes the child want to have a cookie even more.

It doesn't always work out as planned, it really depends on the person and how they will react. Some Humans tend to always do what another doesn't want them to do. While other Humans may listen and not do what you told them to do.

For example telling a person they are weak may result in them trying to prove they are not in some form.

Then again telling a person they are weak may result in them accepting that they are in some form.

It doesn't always work.

• jinz
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

A sloppy phrase, but you've been given some good examples above.

The classic is, of course, the parent who offers to pack the bag of a child threatening to leave home. The psychological 'threat' made by the child is 'reversed' by the parent. The back-at-you approach. It can be very effective in highlighting the importance of the threat.

Be careful. Like anything, these things can backfire though.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Yea! I know how to spell psychology! But not of by heart.

• 6 years agoReport

An example of reverse psychology would be in my story I'm writing. Amelia is treating to kill Erin, so Erin's boyfriend Malik is saying: all right kill her, I don't care.
      There is an example.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.