Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

8-year-old girl asks for divorce in court.?

The side effect of polygamy and aborting female babies; young men can't find a wife. Most have two options. They can either take the infertile woman over 40, or the child bride and wait until she's in her midteens. Neither one is a good choice for a man who wants to start a family. Add insult to injury, if he finds out his wife is pregnant with a girl, he'll probably make her abort it. Then, the cycle will just continue.

This cute little girl doesn't have too many options. http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1145&p=front...

Forcing little girls to marry so young is even happening in countries like the United States, isn't it?

Update:

The way he treated her indicates his ownh frustration in having to marry an 8 year old. Since the laws are so strict, he might've even been a virgin himself.

Update 2:

My point is that foreigners who come to a new country will change the laws as soon as there are enough of them to act as a voting bloc. This kind of crap may even happen here eventually.

Update 3:

Gadget's dead wrong. If you pay attention to muslims living in First World countries, you'll notice how they keep trying to push their laws onto us. First comes the burkas, then the koran, then the forced marriages. Think about that.

Update 4:

Additional question: Why didn't the mother and other female relatives fight a little harder for her?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your sympathies are poorly placed and make my heart heavy.

Even a man who wants sex, if he's a real man, wouldn't be able to entertain the idea of raping a kiddie.

There are worse things than spending a life with no sex; like for example, being a damned paedophile.

The article doesn't say whether or not he has other wives.

The article is tragic; how many little girls does this happen to, who don't have the nouse to go to court. Just so very sad. I hope things turn out better for this little girl.

Edit: re: why the women didn't fight harder - for one thing they don't have any bloody say. The little girl had at least 3 grown men against her and in their society; the head of the household (protector - yeah right) as a male has all the authority.

Also probably happens so damned often that it's nothing new.

They are no doubt socialized to accept these horrible 'male' oriented decisions and wouldn't entertain any thoughts of questioning it. They know no better.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

"The way he treated her" has nothing to do with "frustration" or "being a virgin." This is the way women and girls are treated in a patriarchal society, when women have no worth, and are not afforded the same rights or equal treatment. He felt that he had the RIGHT to rape that little girl...and her father had the RIGHT to "marry" to a thirty year old...knowing full well what could happen to her. Women and girls are property to be "used" as the men in their lives see fit. This is a "side effect" of patriarchy...polygamy and aborting females are also side effects of patriarchy. The mother and other females didn't "fight" for her, because they don't have a say, they'd be beaten and raped if they objected, too, just like she was. WHAT kind of power do they have to stop this? What about asking why these men feel like it's ok to do this?

It's thoroughly disgusting.

And no, I'm pretty sure that eight year old girls aren't being forced to marry in the U.S...are you serious?

• 1 decade ago

Congratulations to the judge for ordering the arrests of these two men and arranging the safe custody of the girl. The article makes no mention of foetal selection, polygamy, infertile women, or marriage for pregnancy (there was no way this girl could get pregnant.) Seems to me this was less about the shortage of female brides, than illegal child abuse, that was thankfully brought to an end by the legal system :-)

• 1 decade ago

No, its not happening in the US, excepting those mormons in texas who are all going to have some nice long jail sentences when the dust settles

American's don't abort girls secificaly for being girls (im sure some people have done gender selection before but its not a big problem in this country)

edit- Wow, that story is unbelievable, that kid must be a genious...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh, god...I think I need a shower now after reading that. How brave is that little girl to go to court by herself? I hope someone adopts her and they throw the father and the child rapist she was "married" to into jail to rot. Better yet, I'm sure in Yemen they have some more "creative" punishments.

And the poster above me is correct. Feeling "sorry" for the men in the country who have such limited "options" (is raping an 8-year-old an "option"?) is pretty low on my list of responses to this.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

out of all the women that 30 yr old lecher could have married he chooses an 8 yr old and the father forces her to marry him?

sick..just sick...

what an amazing little girl...i hope things do get better for her

Phillip D...ur a dick. no wait...ur worse than a dick..at least a dick can bring pleasure and can be nice. ur...dog poo. i was gonna say elephant poo...but that can used as fertilizer and can help grow pretty flowers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I got about halfway through and couldn't finish the article. My sister is eight. The U.N. needs to step in..we all have the same hardwired sense of humanity, religion and misogyny have just clouded theirs.

• 1 decade ago

Nauseating. And no, child brides are illegal in the United States.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's your biggest f*cking issue with this article?? Your screwed in the head buddy....

A man has many choices, and a little girl should never be one of them. I don't care how desperate you are.

Strong little girl.

• 1 decade ago

Why do we care about something happening in another country. If they don't like their laws they can move! And dont yap about how shes 8 and she can't do that blah blah. Well shes 8 and taking her dad to court. So obviously she knows she can do something. We do not tolerate that crap here in the US and we need to pay attention to US affairs and not some other po dunk country who has land thats only good for a bombing range.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.