Elvis asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

I purchased a feliway plug from the pet store in hopes to stop my cat from urinating all over my daughters bed

...but much to my chagrin, the cat is still emptying her bladder all over the bed. I used a diffuser and its been active for 24 hours. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, Please help me!!!!!

• j c
    Best Answer

I have questions, but will try to help. If the cat is male & has not been neutered, that in itself may be the problem, as unneutered male cats will begin to mark their territory once they begin to reach puberty. So if the cat is unneutered, that may be the problem. If the cat is male & neutered, he may have a urinary infection - urinary infections are more common in males than in females. If that is the case, he needs an exam & meds from the vet to clear it up & usually needs diet adjusted - don't feed a cheap dry food, cat needs a good quality dry along with increasing the water in the diet, which is usually done by adding canned catfood, which need to be low in ash content (check back of the labels on cans & buy the ones lower in ash). Female cats are less likely to spray, or to get urinary infections, but it can happen. Also, if the cat has wet on your daughters bedspread or blanket, even when they are washed, the cat's more sensitive nose most likely can still smell the urine, so they continue to go back to where they smell that, meaning you may need to discard those items. Also, your cat may be using the bathroom on the bed instead of the litterbox for any of the following litterbox problems: Changing type of litter - it may not like a fragrance or the type of litter - cats don't tend to like strong fragrance. Dirty litter box - not scooped or changed often enough. Litter box with a hood - cats often prefer an open litterbox. Using a toxic cleaner to clean the litterbox - pinesol & lysol for example contain ingredients toxic to cats & they may smell that & avoid the box - I suggest box be washed out well with dish detergent & rinsed well; if you need to disinfect, a cheap safe product is to mix a spray bottle with 1 part plain liquid clorox bleach mixed with 20 parts water - shake bottle, spray pan, wait a few minutes & rinse very, very well. Also, the litter box needs to be in a place where the cat has privacy, so it needs to be out of the main traffic paths or places where everyone walks through. Another thing is, a cat may stop using a litter box if something bad happens when they are trying to use it - examples of that include: another animal attacks them there, their people have an argument tnear the box, the cat has been yelled at when in the box, or teased by a child, etc when it goes there. To get to the source, examine the situation from the cats point of view & think about if any of these problems exist. Another thing, if unneutered male, a cat may spray if another male cat is visible from his window or is in the yard. Unneutered males are territorial. I'd first suggest a trip to the vet to be sure a cat doesn't have a bladder or kidney infection; if left untreated, male cats especially can block up due to a gritty material in their urine & can die within 24 hours if blocked & untreated. Often a cat has an infection, but people are yelling at the cat because they think it is a behavior problem. Yelling won't help, but may make the situation worse, so please keep that in mind. If you have an unneutered male, please get him neutered, & if cost is an issue, check if a lowcost spay neuter clinicoperates in your area.

Source(s): I am a longtime volunteer with cat rescue organization & have a lot of experience with cats. Have seen a variety of reasons why cats have stopped using a litter box & have noted many of them above.

Don't ssume it's a behavioral problem until you've taken the cat to the vet and at the least had an exam and urinalysis. Urinary tract infections, crystals and cystitis can cause the cat to go outside the litterbox. Ruling out a medical cause should be the first thing on your agenda, before you look into behavioral causes.

I take it is a male cat? Has it been neutered? The best deterrent for a cat is to spray water at it from a bottle every time it does it. This usually works as shouting and hitting cats will only terrify them and they will stop trusting you.

• Anna

Chihuahua

your cat may have a bladder problem. I would take it to the vet.

Source(s): Mom was a Vet Tech for years

keep the door to your daughter's room closed...