Beth asked in TravelMexicoTulum · 1 decade ago

how long does it take to drive to Chichen Itza from Tulum?

I'm going to Tulum for my thirtieth birthday this august and I was thinking about driving up to Chichen Itza for a day trip.

How far is it?

Is it worth the drive?

Thanks everyone!. I think I'll try to make a day trip out of it. I'm going to rent a car So I think we won't have a problem getting there early. Gracias a todos!

Favorite Answer

I'd agree with the estimates that put the driving time around 2 hours. If you take the road that runs from Tulum to Valladolid (past the Coba ruins) and then get on the 180 toll road to Chichen Itza you'll cut off one of the toll booths so that will save you some dollars. (as opposed to going north back towards the Cancun airport and hooking up with the 180 that way).

It's worth the drive and if you only want to spend one day going to ruins then that would be the one to go see. If you are looking to spend a little more time off the resort and since you are renting a car, you may want to consider checking out Coba, Ek Balam or a cenote like Dzitnup near Valladolid or Ik kil near Chichen Itza to name a few. Lots to see in the area.

Guides at more popular ruins can be expensive (but generally well worth it) so you should try to get some more people to fill you car and split on gas tolls and guides.

Enjoy. Below is a very good site on the Yucatan State.

• haag

Tulum To Chichen Itza

The street from Tulum to Valladolid was recently redone. You are now able to drive from Tulum to Chichen Itza in less than 90 minues.

It's about 2 hours, and it's definitely worth the drive.

Go early in the morning if you can, because it's going to be SUPER hot there during the day.

Bring money to pay "tolls" (bribes) along the way.

Also, do not try to do this with a hangover.

about 2 hours

There are buses that go every morning too...pick up pepole from the big hotels. you could ask at your hotel...would be cool and comfy and less stress.

Yes I agree with the above