Why do Americans have such terrible coffee?

I'm an American and I've travelled all over this world, with significant travel throughout Europe. Most every country I've been to has decent to very good coffee at nearly every place you go. For being settled predominantly by Europeans us Americans have an awful sense of what good coffee tastes... show more I'm an American and I've travelled all over this world, with significant travel throughout Europe. Most every country I've been to has decent to very good coffee at nearly every place you go.

For being settled predominantly by Europeans us Americans have an awful sense of what good coffee tastes like. Go to any restaurant and the coffee they serve is more like a semi-strong tea taste at best. To get a decent cup of coffee you have to go to special coffee shops and pay through the nose for a cup.

How did our awful taste in coffee come to pass? I'm really confuzzled about this.