Why do Americans have such terrible coffee?

I'm an American and I've travelled all over this world, with significant travel throughout Europe. Most every country I've been to has decent to very good coffee at nearly every place you go.

For being settled predominantly by Europeans us Americans have an awful sense of what good coffee tastes like. Go to any restaurant and the coffee they serve is more like a semi-strong tea taste at best. To get a decent cup of coffee you have to go to special coffee shops and pay through the nose for a cup.

How did our awful taste in coffee come to pass? I'm really confuzzled about this.

Favorite Answer

I could not agree more. I travel a lot for my job, and I lived in Germany, Austria, and France when I was in high school and college. We have the worst coffee.

Call me a spoiled snob, but ever since college, I have been spending ridiculous amounts of money on good coffee because I can't stand the stuff that we call coffee. I can't believe that most people here think that Starbucks is good coffee.

I think we should blame our obsession with convenience, good bargains, and our fast-paced lives. The stuff that comes in cans is really low-quality and it's disgusting, but it's cheaper and quicker than grinding your own beans. Plus, that's the stuff that most people have been drinking their whole lives, so they don't know any better.

Also, everybody is obsessed with getting more bang for their buck.If people were served a 4 oz cup of proper coffee, they'd feel cheated because they didn't get their jumbo mega venti 40 oz cup.

Furthermore, a lot of people drink coffee just for the caffeine buzz and just gulp down their 20 oz of disgusting coffee and go on with their life.

I went trough graduate school and I lived on caffeine, so I understand why somebody would just drink it for the caffeine and not for the taste.

For us, coffee is much more of an addiction than a relaxing ritual. When you take 20 minutes to drink a cup of cappuccino, you notice the flavor much more than when you gulp it down while driving.

MONEY MONEY MONEY The only American grown coffee is in Hawaii with no pesticides at an elevation of appx 1500 ft

clear mornings and cloudy afternoons rich soil. The mainland

coffee is processed to make the highest profit sacrificing

the natural process and time to ripen properly for cash from a

majority of a non educated coffee drinking society in America.

Pea berry organic would be among the best in the world.

Go to badasscoffee.com to get the best and order for your self. Ask them about peaberry organic and go from there.

Source(s): Personal experience, Have been all over the world and this is the best! I love my coffee!

Americans like our coffee because that is what we are used to it has improved over the years in there. AT first it was boiled then percolated, the restaurants vacuumed brewed, now we are at least drip and many are grinding our own beans and we have all the coffee shops such as Starbucks, so we are catching up with the Europeans

That was this week Scotty been number one every week It's not accurate, they had Pia safe last week They had Jacob and Stefano and Paul on the bottom Pia left and both Jacob and Stefano and Paul was safe This year I have not seen them put red on anyone Most are yellow and tied in 3rd or 4 th place with more than two people Casey was safe, they had him at the bottom, he did not make the bottom three Jacob went for Casey last place to second Last week Casey were safe Casey did a huge risk, a lot of people just does not get him Scotty from being from North Caroline and the teenage girl vote, he is not going any where soon

Back in the old days when Americans were traveling west in wagon trains, coffee was limited for the trip so they diluted it to make it last longer. This became the norm for coffee in America.