Can i still mix by hand and the same results for a cake recipe that calls mixing with an electric mixer??

i no longer have my electric mixer. is it possible to mix my ingredients by hand and still get the same results if i mixed with the mixer?? also, i dont make cakes often. are cakes like quickbreads, that you dont mix the batter a lot (even though it has lots of lumps) so that you dont release glutens and then get rubbery, bad results? or can i just mix enough so that i can get rid of the lumps? ill be making a cholocate cake.

• Rli R
    Best Answer

You can make a cake mix by hand. I made it that way for years before ever getting my hand-held mixer and then my big mixer. The texture will be different, though. You'll find mixing by had will be lighter than using the big mixer.

I definitely noticed a difference when I got my big mixer - changed the consistency.

For a cake, cream the butter and sugar. Sift the dry ingredients. Beat the eggs into the creamed mixture. Add whatever other liquid you have (like bananas if making banana bread). Add the flour mixture last and just mix enough to get the lumps out. Once the flour is added, the more you beat, the tougher it will get. That's why the mixer makes a recipe tougher - because it's hard to control how much it beats it whereas doing it by hand, will produce a lighter mixture because you have better control over the beating.

Hope that helps and I'm sure your chocolate cake will come out wonderful.

• Roslyn

Use a fork, and move the fork in a circular motion at a perpendicular angle to the plane batter in the bowl. Is this clear to you? Just snuggle the bowl with the batter in one arm like a football. Snug it in securely. Then take a fork or, if you have one, a wire whisk, and mix it with a circular motion of the fork/whisk, not leaving the fork in the batter at all times and moving in a circular motion around the bowl, but in and up-and-down circular motion, where the fork/whisk cuts into the batter, goes down through it, and comes back up and arcs back to the point where the fork/whisk cut into the batter to begin with. I never use an electric mixer. And just as an aside: Did you know that there are non-electric mixers that cost a couple of bucks and you crank them by hand, which turns the little beaters in the batter? Hope your cake gets baked well.

• Sue C

You can certainly do it without an electric mixer - when I did domestic science at school we made cakes without mixers. But I would follow a recipe - it sounds a bit as though you were just going to do it any old how. Where it says 'beat together or cream together' .. for the butter and sugar .. you should use a wooden spoon and beat again with the wooden spoon when you add the eggs. However, when you add the sifted flour and cocoa you should fold those in carefully with a metal spoon, don't beat the mixture as you add the flour or you will get a very heavy cake. Good luck!

You can do it, but it's alot of "elbow grease" without a mixer...... Cakes need to be beaten VERY WELL for at least 3-5 min to be light and moist. You will definitely notice a difference in the batter after around 3 min. I have given that hint to quite a few people asking about moist cakes on here, and they've all come back and thanked me:) Most people don't beat their cakes long enough:)

You'll get a workout, but you sure can. That and kneading bread by hand is why bakers were much sought after by women in town. The biceps!

I agree that if you are making a chiffon cake or an angel food cake and you need egg whites, you may be in trouble, but normal cakes work well mixed by hand.

There is an evil little secret to whipping egg whites by hand and the chefs in here will hate me for ratting them out but...

....actually if you whip egg whites in a big copper bowl...they whip up faster than with a mixer!! Magic!

Okay. Prepare yourself for a "guy" answer...ready? Shoulder pads, helmet, blank, brainless-expression-that-says: 'Hey, Baby! You look familiar. Aren't you the lunch-lady?'

All systems "GO"? Great!

The first thing I thought of is the difference in hand cranked continuous centrifuges (same thing as cream/milk separators). While they do the same thing, the speed and force of the hi-powered ones DO result in the removal of finer particles.

Same basic principal applies to blenders...hand or powered. You may be left with a few more lumps going the hand-route. But, such is life.

Hope that helps.

...

Source(s): Dorris, the Lunch-Lady

The reason for mixing is not only for blending the ingredients but also to add air for a fluffy texture. If you mix a cake by hand use a wire wisk to help force the air in the batter.

Well, I have tried the short cut and not used my mixer and in my opinion, the cakes come out less fluffy and a little dry. My suggestion is buy a cheap mixer (they're like $10) and this way you'll have one if you ever need it. It's worth it to me.

• Holly

You can certainly do that----true, you don't want to develop your gluten too much, but you also want a smooth batter---and I accomplish that better with a whisk than I do with a mixer anyway. The last post was correct----getting egg whites to peak stage by hand is an ordeal.

Depends.

Like if the recipe calls for you to whip egg whites.. good luck with that, cause it's nearly impossible to whip with a whisk to get the volume the cake needs.

However, if it's just simple ingredients- flour, egg, etcetc. with no fluffing , then by all means , go ahead.

Just make sure everything is well mixed!