julie asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

tooth abscess/root canal?

hello, i have just been reading on the net that a tooth abbcess if not treated is dangerous? i am very worried now. i had a swelling about 2 months ago and had 1 week of antibiotics found a dentist who said i need a root canel,but because it's on a crowned tooth i had to be reffered. i have an appointment in 2 weeks time and will not be able to be seen sooner. i am worried as my tooth feels as if it's playing up again, a slight trobbing,but no real pain or swelling. i also feel quite down. do you think i should go and get more antibiotics before i have the treatment? i am very worried about the whole thing.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    ANTIBIOTICS WILL ONLY SETTLE THE TOOTH TEMPORARILY. AS THE UNDERLYING INFECTION IS STILL PRESENT THE TOOTH WILL FLARE UP REPEATEDLY AND ANOTHER ABSCESS MAY OCCUR. ABSCESSES CAN BE DANGEROUS BECAUSE THEY CAN SPREAD TO BECOME FAR WORSE LIKE CELLULITIS AND SEVERE SWELLINGS CAN BE A HAZARD TO THE AIRWAY. IF THE TOOTH BECOMES PAINFUL I WOULD SUGGEST GOING TO THE DENTIST TO AHVE THE TOOTH OPENED UP AND DRESSED WITH SOMETHING THAT WILL PERMANENTL Y KILL OFF THE TOOTH CAUSING YOUR SYMPTOMS TO SUBSIDE UNTIL THE TOOTH CAN BE ROOT TREATED. REPEATEDLY HANDING OUT ANTIBIOTICS IS NOT GOOD PRACTICE, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS NO SWELLING.

    Source(s): AM A DENTIST
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes you need to have this abscess looked at and treated ASAP. An abscess is a stagnant body of bacteria. However the infection can get into the blood stream and cause sepsis. You need to have this tooth treated as well as the abscess. Most doctors will not treat a patient with an active infection. They will delay treatment until the infection is gone. Tell your Doctor of the issue before your scheduled root canal in a few weeks. He will most likely call you in an antibiotic.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes if left untreated it is dangerous....I had the same thing last year. But since it was a molar in the back of my mouth ....and a wisdom tooth, my dentist let me know that he was still able to pull it . He offered me the choice of a root canal or just pull the tooth.

    In the end I had the tooth pulled the same day I was in his office...I did not want to go through anymore pain and swelling...and like I said it was a molar in the back of my mouth.

    Good luck ...hope that you get to feeling better soon.

  • D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    I doubt very much that you will need more antibiotics. I am in the middle of having root canal carried out. Take some pain killers and rinse your mouth with salt and water. Two weeks is fine to wait. I am glad I do not have the pain that came with the abscess. You will be fine stop worrying.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I would ring your dentist again & explain how worried & concerned you are. It can be quiet dangerous if left as I have heard that the poison from the abcess can get into your blood stream & cause all sorts of problems. I had 1 a few yrs back but didn't really feel too much pain. It was a colleague who prompted me to go to the dentists when she said to me one morning "oh god, what's wrong with your face it's a funny shape". Charming hey?

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    get in touch with your dentist and ask for either an earlier appointment or another course of antibiotics

  • 1 decade ago

    If you can't get an appointment sooner then you should find an emergency dentist.

  • 1 decade ago

    I'm sure most dentists have provisions in place for emergencies, so you should get in to see your dentist if you are getting severe pain.

  • 1 decade ago

    Antibiotics are advisable not least because when abcesses really flare up they can be exceptionally painful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.