Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jehovah's witnesses: Is self-defense training prohibited?

I've heard this from a lot of biased sources but never actually heard it from a Jehovah's witness. I already have a background in self-defense training, and was curious as to whether keeping my skills sharp would be contradictory of biblical practices, should I decide to become a witness.

Favorite Answer

Mere self defense classes like women's defense are often not the same thing as martial arts (being taught to kill). Also, much of the written work as well as chants connected to martial arts are involving pagan religions/gods, etc.

Once you already have it, it's just past. Many JWs were in the military, martial arts and all kinds of things before bringing their lives into harmony with Bible teachings.

Whatever practice you do keeping up your skills, ask yourself: Does it involve chants to false gods? Does it invoke them/demons etc. to give you power? Are the particular moves you are practicing just exercise, just self defense or are they killing moves that are intended to kill or do grave bodily harm? Will the outfit you wear be adorned with the symbols of false gods/religions?

Other than that sort of thing, it would be OK. Some are involved in various types of things.

Ask your local elders if you need more. Or research it in the Kingdom Hall library.

Debbie

• JoKyoNim
      4 years agoReport

LOL what chants and pagan deities are you referring to?

1

Source(s): Self Defence Training http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide
  • Amber

The Bible is clear that self defense is perfectly acceptable to God as long as it absolutely necessary. That being said your reasoning is weak. If you were describing a military that guarded the borders and retaliated with whatever means were necessary, your reasoning would be sound. You, however, are talking about an army that is sent somewhere else to kill. The United States invaded Iraq, not the other way around. And that is exactly why I could never in good conciense join the military. A soldier is put into positions where they will inevitably be forced to defend themselves. I don't blame the soldiers for what they have to do. The leaders (not just in this country) are the ones ordering that murders be committed. I for one, refuse to take orders that will require me to take someone else's life.

This is a very interesting question. You can ask the person you are studying with to give you a copy of the July 9, 1991 Awake. It covers the Bibles viewpoint of self-defense. I think Debbie brought it out well that there are differences in Self-Defense, Karate, Judo etc. The main point is, what are your intentions? We would not want to seek out someone to attack or kill with our skills. However, if we are attacked we need to use any thing we have to subdue the individual our actions would be defensive only. We would not try to kill or punish our attacker but only try to neutralize the attack. If the attacker was to receive a fatal blow, it would be accidental, not intentional.

I had to take a self defense course in primary school, it didn't bother my conscience and thankfully I've never had to use the training I received then. Primarily I think need to have the correct view of the sanctity of life.

Source(s): Personal experience

No, a Jehovah's Witness is not prohibited from training that is literally for self-defense.

The following quote is found on page 28 of Awake! magazine of November 22, 1987

[quote]

If attacked and unable to flee from his assailant who is determined to inflict injury or death, a Christian may try to ward off the blows or even strike out in defense, perhaps using whatever was at hand to protect himself or others. But his actions would be defensive only. He would not try to kill or punish his attacker but only try to neutralize the attack. If the attacker was to receive a fatal blow, it would be accidental, not intentional.

[end quote]

Generally, Jehovah's Witnesses do not carry lethal weapons for use against humans and do not engage in martial arts. Unless a Christian's behavior degraded to spiritism or wanton violence, it seems unlikely that his involvement in "self-defense" could be considered a serious sin. The congregation might, at most, withhold certain privileges in certain cases such as those addressed by The Watchtower of July 15, 1983.

[quote]

Anyone who thus continues to carry personal [fire]arms or otherwise equips himself to become “a smiter” would cease to qualify for special privileges in the congregation.

[end quote]

The other witnesses have answered correctly

It all boils down to knowing the application of the skills being learned - is it to initiate harm/attack others or is it to do only whats necessary to protect yourself without gratuitous violence. Principles like the one in Isaiah 2:4 and Psalm 11:5 come into play here.

.

Self defense classes would NOT be accepted in any form. I am speaking as a former Witness that held responsibility. Unless of course they were offering a boot camp style exercise class at a local gym, that would be ok. Just make sure that the local gym isnt a YMCA because those are also NOT acceptable.

Self-defense training is OK. I know some witnesses that know some self defense. As long as you only use it for self-defense and not for deliberately hurting others then everything's all right.

Well.... we know that Jehovah God hates violence, so we keep away from it. But if you already have those skills, well in MY opinion, good. I am not encouraging for you to continue your classes, all I'm saying is that, good for you to know how to defend yourself if the situation would ever rise...BUT lets hope you dont have to use your skills. And of course never kill someone because of your skills....umm.. thats what I think.

• JoKyoNim
      4 years agoReport

LOL God hates violence? Just look at the Old Testament. It is littered with violence. Much of it is God's own violence.