Chaz asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Can somebody explain hockey fights to me?

apparently in hockey it's legal to fight. in any other sport you would be suspended and fined and all that. like what are the rules? can you fight when ever you want or what?and what are the rules to it?

Update:

well i mean the refs just stand there and watch. any other sport the cops would come break it up.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No one understands....it's just funny.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bobbie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The biggest thing I noted when watching games with newcomers was how many times I heard it was hard to follow the puck. On TV or at the game, same comments. Then it occurred to me that they were literally trying to follow the puck whereas I was looking to where the puck was going. After that I tried to actually watch the puck for a while and understood what they were talking about. If you've grown up with the sport, the flow and strategy of the game allows you to analyze and anticipate what the guy on TV is going to do. You don't watch the wraparound dump in, you focus on the weak side wing and the goalie. You don't watch the d-man carrying the puck out of his zone, you look at his pass options... and so on. Unlike football where a ball is run, passed and caught or baseball where a ball is thrown to a target for a guy to swing at, hockey's speed and strategy makes it difficult for a newcomer to fully appreciate what's really happening out there unless a puck is going in the net or two guys are punching one another. I don't mean this as a slight in any way, mind you. It's just how it is... The Theo Fleury reality show would have been a lot more interesting eight years ago. More depressing as well, I'd guess.

• Bryan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

fighting is part of hockey culture. You'll see fights happen when a team is looking for a lift, or if someone tries to go after the star player or goalie on a team. Fights are usually controlled emotion(not trying to kill the other person) and their is a certain way to do it. You line up, grab each others shirt and try to get some knocks in, and after about a minute, the refs will break it up.

Each team has a fighter or two and that's their main job, but you will also see others fight as well, but not as much as the fighters

Here's some of the heavyweights in the NHL.

http://blogs.citypages.com/sports/boogaard%20mug2....

http://www.christiechorley.com/with%20georges%20la...

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/070...

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Photos/sixtootoo0815.jp...

http://www.espn.go.com/media/pg3/2005/1006/photo/b...

• 1 decade ago

Fights break out with one player is playing dirty and the other doesn't like it.

You're wrong when you say that fights are legal. You get a 5 minute penalty. If the fight is a REALLY bad one, you may get 10 minutes or even kicked out of the game altogether.

There's basically only one rule of fighting, you can't use your skate as a weapon. you can throw punches and that's about it.

Refs HAVE to watch, they could get more injured than the two fighting if they were to jump in. Therefore, they wait until the two players hit the ice before jumping in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • djup6
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well MMA fighting is considered a sport, and all they do is fight. Same for Boxing. I have yet to see cops bust in and arrest a UFC fight or boxer.

The rules of fighting in hockey is that when the players fall on the ice during a fight, the refs have to stop it. Usually players only fight when they have been taking cheap shots at each other. Players that wear visors usually take off their helmets to fight, or else they will look like ******* **cough** Corey Parry **cough**

• Bench-clearing brawls in baseball...not too much in terms of suspensions.

Basketball...see above.

Football...matching 15-yard penalties...zzzzz.

As explained ad nauseum, fighting (read what follows carefully)...is against the rules. Read that last sentence again. If you fight, you get a 5-minute major penalty. If you are ruled to have started (instigated) a fight, it's an additional 2 minutes. If you instigate/start a fight in the last five minutes of a game it's a suspension/ejection.

In the NHL, most fights are mutual, with both combatants having chosen to drop gloves and fight.

The officials will allow the players to fight for a small duration until one (or both) combatants signal to break up the fight. They will also break it up if one of the combatants is greatly overmatched and/or is in trouble (dangerous position).

Believe it or not, there is an entire "code" devoted to fighting.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have always thought that too!!

Well I guess they want a little bit of two sports in one:

Boxing and Hockey.

The crowd loves a good hockey fight! Look how hockey has checking, which is really different from basketball or baseball

• MattH
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's true eh Libby... just no one understands.

In hockey it's not legal. In minor hockey you get an automatic 5 min penalty, a game misconduct, and perhaps even a suspension. In the NHL you are assessed a 5 min major penalty, and are not able to come out of the penalty box until the 5 mins is up (unlike a minor 2 min penalty in which case if your team gets scored on you leav ehte box.. .unless it's coincidental penalty of course.. but that would just fall on deaf ears, so I'll ignore that for you).

Players fight in hockey usually to stir up their team, to intimidate the other team, or to protect a star player or the goalie. Fights very rarely occur out of sheer aggression and anger. These guys are professionals, they're usually pretty good at keeping their cool (except for my Flames)./

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The refs will eventually break it up when they deem it is safe to skate in there. In hockey fights the rules are, take your helmet off if you have a visor else get a penalty, take your helmet off unless you want people to think you're a sissy. no hitting with your stick, no cheap shots from behind. no third man in (i.e. you enter a fight already in progress) or you get a penalty. no "instigating" which is weird because most fights are not actually instigated most of the times two players say oh yeah, you want to fight, yeah bring it, then they drop gloves and fight... but instigating is where you just skate up out of the blue, drop your gloves and start landing them... that is an extra penalty.

• Mh
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Well I think people do understand it, there is a whole code of when and how fights happen and how it all is done

The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL by Ross Bernstein is a great resource.

Having played I know in leagues where there is no fighting there is a reality of sticks getting carried a little higher and frustrations boiling over.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It isn't legal, there are penalties assessed, and game suspensions aren't an oddity. I think the difference is that in a hockey game, the refs are going to let them get it out of their systems for a few seconds (really, they fights aren't like 15 round boxing matches), then they have to serve a penalty. Its like anything else, they do something inappropriate, they face consequences. Then Sammy comes here to tell you we're bloodthirsty creeps. Wait for it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.