skuuter_30116 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

I have just lost 2 cats in 5 days. Can Febreze Noticables kill my cats.We had just put one at the litter box.?

Not certain that the air freshener caused my 2 cats to die. but this is the only thing that has changed. while trying to find something that may have hurt them, I was sprayed by the airfreshener. It took my breath away. I read the package and it clearly states to keep out of the reach of children and pets.....How many outlets are in your house are out of reach...If anyone has had a cat die unexpectedly. and you have had a Febreze Noticeables. at the cat box. please help me spread the word. I lost 2 of my best friends..I am devistated..How can a product be placed on the market that can easilily be injested by children or pets........

Favorite Answer

Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved cats. Unfortunately, there are many products that can be harmful to pets, cats and birds especially. Please contact the parent company of Febreze or call the customer hotline and explain what happened. Press for information about the chemicals used and ask for a hard copy that can be sent to your vet. She/he can give you more information regarding the probable cause of death - chemical poisoning, lung damage, renal failure, etc.

You have no recourse because of their label warning, but you can get the word out through pet magazines and Internet forums.

" To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx."

This group sends out alerts about recalled products. Since odor neutralizers and air fresheners are so popular, they may want to take a closer look at the product you used. Bag it and put it away safely in case they contact you.

Your terrible tragedy may save countless other innocent lives. Please take time to journal your experinces with your beloved companions. You will cry and laugh and sigh. It will help, eventually. I know.

Source(s): Life long cat companion and shelter volunteer

I think it's good that you're publicly exploring this, and I'm really sorry for your losses, but you have to be careful about what is known and what isn't. I'm sure you don't want to go through the bother of an autopsy, but this would be the only thing that could prove beyond a doubt that Fabreze caused it.

In science, there's a lot of "coincidences" that can be meaningless. Every time I've had a pet die, I can look back to something that had recently changed. It doesn't mean this killed my cat.

If I were you, I'd make sure (maybe you've done this!) that it isn't some disease they're passing back and forth. You don't mention symptoms, etc, but if even 1 of the cats has been outside and not vaccinated, this could also be the problem.

OH my.. I am so so sorry, I cant in my life imagine what you are going through. Look however even if this was the only change this does not determine why you cats die.. Did you take them to the vets? Did they give an explanation? Were the outdoor cats? They could of contracted a virus from outside and considering those two were together if one caught something the other should too... Also do you have any posion plants in your garden rememeber there are MANY different plants deadly to cats suck as all posion ivy's, avacados and much much more check for these things around your hoouse. I am so so very sorry for your lost but just rememeber what an amazing life you gave to them both, they are waiting for you on the other side probably messing around with eachother right now! Oh and go to this website they will tell you whats dangerous to cats =] Good luckx http://www.moggies.co.uk/plants.html

I'm so sorry about your loss. I have a cat & didn't know cats can be so sensitive to things like that. But it don't think that can actually kill a cat. I'm curious now & going to do some research myself. But do your cats go outside. You'll be surprise how people can cruel & actually poison other peoples pets. Someone did that to my mother's dog & she died eventually at the Vet.

Sorry for your loss. I once lost a cat because he was eating the stuff I put on my back to get rid of the zits, amazing!

Contact the febreeze people and see what they say, is there a disclaimer on the package?

Oh my. I'm so sorry for your loss. It would be impossible to say anything to you that would help you feel better. The other responses sound right on target to me.

I'd only suggest you check with your local poison control center (I hope I didnt miss that thought in another comment)

Then I'd also check on ripoffreport.com to see if there have been any other reports like yours...they have a lot of very interesting comments on that site.

Please know you will be in my thoughts & Prayers,

God's Blessings,

cyn

Something else must of been wrong with your cats because I have put Febreze Noticables up by my litter box for a few years now and believe me my cats are healthy and run around like crazy. Sorry about your loss

A cats sense of smell is 20 times stronger than that of humans (and a dog's is 50times stronger - interesting fact of the day!!).

If the airfreshener made you splutter, then it may have played a part in the sudden and sad death of your two cats.

I do not think it was the febreeze they could of ate some poison did they go outside?If so someone could have poisoned them.Or they got a virus.I am sorry for your loss.

I know cats are allegic to the smell of deoderant it might be what has caused it