Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

will using any kind of exercise machine help me lose weight?

my husband got a exercise machine where you pick up weights like the bowflex machine on t.v. i need to lose 125 pounds. i'm on a diet. i plan to exercise 2-3 hours everyday. i need to know if the machine will help me lose weight cause you only use your arms but i can add walking to my exercise.

• Yoho
    Favorite Answer

Watch out about doing to much exercise. being over weight and out of shape you can really hurt your self. It already sounds like you're going to exercise way to much. 2-3 hours every day will end up hurting your self.

Try 30 minutes 3 times a week. Then go to 1 hour 3 times a week. Just remember one soda is about one hour of exercise. All so remember you need to eat to drop weight you can't just stop eating :) start counting calories.

Walking in my view would be the best because of the weight you are now. IT would be like walking with 125 pounds of weight someone else. Thats only if walking will get your heart rate up. If it doesn't then again it's a waste and you need to go swiming or biking.

With the bowflex machine if you want to drop fat Don't use a lot of weight.It's better to work out for longer with less weight than a short time with a lot of weight. You're goal is to get your heart rate up. But you don't want your heart rate at 100% so don't work out until you drop. If you do you will have to stop to fast. Get a heart rate monitor and read how to use it.

Good luck stay safe.

Me and my neighbor recently got a machine similar to the bowflex also. It came with an 8 week program to help 'reshape' the body. I am not sure if it works yet, but I sure can feel it ever where. I've been working on my weight for a year now and have lost a bit, but from mhy experience, it doesn't atter is you workout for 1 hour or day or 5, it all depends on the effort you put into your workout. If the machine will only let you work on your arms, I do not think it will make much of a difference. Walking would probably help you more than the machine. My mother in law loves to tell me the story of how after she gave birth to my husband she walked 10 miles a day (5 in the morning and 5 in the evening) to go from 240lbs to 160 in around 6 months, she claims she didnt change her eating...but I don't know...I guess it all depends on the person. Well, good luck on the weight loss anyways!

Eat only when hungy and that too not more than three times a day. Include fruits and uncooked vegetables in ur diet. Take no liquid or solid food in between other than water. Chew each morsel at least 32 times. This will create a system of messaging by which u will know when u r hungry or when full. Take light exercises and brisk walks regularly preferably twice a day. U will get all the motivation to stick to this pattern within a short period and u will achieve what u have always considered to be ur goal.

• Nancy

I've tried many diets and couldn't make anything work. Since having my first child, I've been carrying around an extra 30 pounds. This diet just made sense and showed me that everything I was doing before was wrong and a waste of my time.

The plan was so refreshing and so simple to follow. I did everything plan said and lost 23 pounds in the first three weeks. I'm now starting the diet again to lose 7 more pounds. This plan has changed my life.

Get started today!

From what I understand, your bow-flex-style workout machine will only assist in gaining muscle, since weight-lifting is generally meant to become stronger.

If you want to lose weight I would recommend for you to do low-intensity cardio training for long time-spans.

Nonetheless, losing unhealthy weight is just as important as gaining muscle. Doing the combination of both would also be an excellent idea, if you are up to the challenge.

• BWANA

Don't wast your money. 95% of all those devises and machines end up on eBay, the junk yard, or a yard sale. If you really want to lose weight, cut back on the food intake (eat smaller portions), do exercises like running, jumping jacks, etc. Avoid candy and other confections. Or, the best, but expensive, attend one of those "fat farms". They really work.

if you want to lose weight without walking or running gte a rowing machine, it is an excellent source of cardio and does not involve your legs and uses arms and upper back...rowing, swimming, running are considered 3 great forms of cardio per the American Medical Association...

Source(s): AMA

yes. in fact, any kind of exercise will help you lose weight, as longs as it's done properly, in the right amount, and if you stick to it long enough!

People who regularly weigh themselves and record their progress in a journal will probably lose weight.

Set your personal machine alarm to ring hourly—stand way up for 1 to 5 minutes each and every time it goes off.