John 14:6 Exactly what does " through " mean ?

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6

Best Answer

The word through according to Webster means: a function word to indicate movement into at one side or point and out at another and esp. the opposite side of (drove a nail~a board).

This is the 6th "I AM" statement of Jesus in John. In response to Thomas' query (v. 4), Jesus declared that He is the way to God because He is the truth of God (1:14) and the life of God (1:4; 3:15; 11:25). In this verse, the exclusiveness of Jesus as the only approach to the Father is emphatic. Only one way, not many ways, exist to God, i.e., Jesus Christ (10:7-9; cf Matt. 7:13, 14; Luke 13:24; Acts 4:12).

Source(s): NKJV Bible

The translation of that word is as follows.

dia διά pronounced dee-ah is the Greek word.

Which is a primary preposition denoting the CHANNEL of an act.

Jesus is shown as the main artery through which blood can flow.

Christians being the blood and THROUGH HIM as the only way we can flow.

Without HIM as the Artery...WE cannot function.

I want you to note how many times Jesus speaks of THE HEART. Now stop and think of it in a spiritual context and you will then see the truth come as a reality to you. Meditate on it for a while. See JESUS as our life....by which we have our flow...."In Him and through HIM, we live and move and have our being"!!!!!

We learn that there is no approach to God without going through Jesus. Consider, more specifically, what this means for us. Jesus is “the way” in that only through him can we enter into an approved relationship with God. Why is that so? By proving faithful to death, Jesus gave his life as a ransom sacrifice. (Matthew 20:28) Without this ransom provision, it would be impossible for us to have access to God. Sin creates a barrier between humans and God, for the Father is holy and therefore can never approve of sin. But the sacrifice of Jesus removed the barrier; it provided the necessary covering, or atonement, for sin. If we accept God’s provision through Christ and put faith in it, we can enter into God’s favor. There is simply no other way for us to become “reconciled to God.”—Romans 5:6-11.

Jesus is “the way” when it comes to prayer. Only through Jesus can we go to the father in prayer with the assurance that our heartfelt petitions will be favorably heard. (1 John 5:13, 14) Jesus himself said: “If you ask the Father for anything he will give it to you in my name. . . . Ask and you will receive, that your joy may be made full.” (John 16:23, 24) Appropriately, in the name of Jesus, we can approach God in prayer and call Him “our Father.” (Matthew 6:9) Jesus is “the way” in yet another sense—by his example. As noted earlier, Jesus perfectly imitated his Father. Jesus’ example thus shows us how to live so as to please God. To approach Jehovah, then, we must walk in the footsteps of Jesus.

Jesus’ words are as relevant today as they were when he uttered them. We can therefore have full confidence that if we follow Jesus, we will never become lost. He, and he alone, will show us the way “to the Father.”

• Serena

It's like asking what it means to pray and have Jesus there with you. None of your prayers can be answered by God if you don't get the message to Him so you have to get the message to Jesus first. Jesus is the only one that can give you access to blessings. You can't say you are a child of God unless you are a friend and follower of Jesus.

Source(s): matthew chapter 18 verses 5 and 20

Like going through a checkout cashier at the grocery store. He is the only way or source.

When Adam ate the forbidden fruit and mankind fell from grace we were apart from God with no way back. That's because we were in sin. His Word says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. It also says that the wages of sin is death. Being in sin we could not pay the penalty and redeem ourselves.

God sent His Son Jesus to pay the price we could not. By confessing, and turning from, our sin and accepting His free gift of salvation we are given the hope of eternal life with the Father through the propitiation of His Son Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 61:10

I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh [himself] with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth [herself] with her jewels.

Titus 3:3 (NIV)

3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

• debbie

It means through knowing Jesus you will see the father. If you do not know or reject Jesus you will be rejected by jesus and not be with God for eternity Only through your acceptannce that Jesus is the son o fGod and you saviour shall you ever see god --only through Jesus

• The clue is in the first 2 words.."I am"

Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Because He is the Father.

he is saying that he has been the chosen one to take you through to the father. "i am the way through". it is self explanitory realy when you think about it after you read it.

It means what it always means: through, via, by means of, etc.