Why are positive racial stereotypes NOT considered racist?

Seriously, they might be positive, but they're not necessarily true! I have to deal with the stereotype that I'm smart because I'm Asian, now I know what SOME of you are thinking " But it's a positive stereotype, do you want people to call you stupid?", and my response is; NO, but I want to be judged by my character, not my race. So anyway, why are positive stereotypes NOT considered racist?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

who doesn't like a compliment? lol but they're not considered racist because racism is too harsh and too negative a word to use. Racism usually deals with abhor against other races whereas stereotypes are neutral, they can be positive or negative hence, "positive racism" is called a stereotype =)

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is still considered racist because it still pigeonholes people unfairly or people have expectations of you that they don't put on others. I totally get what you are saying. Not all Asians are gifted, super-academic or even interested in school, and there are some who can and do drop out when the chance comes around and pursue other things. In fact, the richest high school dropout is Asian. A man name Li Ka-Shing.

Another example: a positive stereotype is that all women can bake and sew, but what if you can't? Does it make you less of a woman if you can't bake or sew? Men are allegedly "handy" around the house or are natural mechanics, but what if you're a man who isn't but instead is an excellent cook or a tailor...should people question his masculinity? Of course not.

• 1 decade ago

I think all stereotypes are racist! Stereotypes are basically judging a person by the group they belong to and not the individual..and that's bad.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They make people feel good about themselves. Society has not advanced enough to avoid or even counter stereotypes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I consider them to be. You can't except the positive ones and reject the negative ones. Generalizations are bad period.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with you, and I wish I could give you the answer you are looking for.

Racism is racism no matter how pretty the bow on the package is

Source(s): remember: "It's not what they call you but what you answer to" -Madea
  • 1 decade ago

Stereotyping is not racism.

It is a level of Prejudice...

that is cognitive.

• 1 decade ago

you can't that's why they are steroetypes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.