Obama Voters: Why Specifically Will You Vote For Him?

What I'm not interested in is more "I want change" garbage.

Be specific. What economic policies has he endorsed in the past,and will continue to endorse in the future. And which of these policies do you agree with? and WHY?

Same with social policies, etc. Don't answer with hype, answer with intelligence.

Mel, Thank you for providing a well thought out, intelligent answer. While we disagree on candidates, it's nice to know that one person voting for Obama has actually thought through the issue. Very, very good answer - exactly what I was hoping for.

Favorite Answer

*Sigh.

First and foremost, I'm impressed by his character. It's refreshing to hear someone who can deliver an intelligent speech instead of mispronouncing words and using the same monotone voice and pausing every three or four words. I read his books, and I'm impressed by his openness about his experience with race and growing up biracial. People criticize that like he should say that everything was always perfect. But those of us in the real world know that he is speaking about very real divides in our country. He's examined them, lived with them, experienced them. I think he has an uncommon understanding of the issues, and will help us move forward as a country. It saddens me deeply to hear people take his candidness about race and call him a racist for it.

As far as issues, I agree with him more often than the other two candidates, but I don't agree with him 100% of the time. Some things I support:

He pledges to reverse the politicization that has occurred in the Bush Administration's Department of Justice. He will put an end to the ideological litmus tests used to fill positions within the Civil Rights Division.

He will also pass the Fair Pay Act to ensure that women receive equal pay for equal work.

He will strengthen federal hate crimes legislation.

I like that he will provide counseling and rehab services to ex-offenders. The focus should be on treatment, not 100% on prevention like it has been since Reagan.

Obama will fight for a trade policy that opens up foreign markets to support good American jobs. He will use trade agreements to spread good labor and environmental standards around the world and stand firm against agreements like the Central American Free Trade Agreement that fail to live up to those important benchmarks. Obama will also pressure the World Trade Organization to enforce trade agreements and stop countries from continuing unfair government subsidies to foreign exporters and nontariff barriers on U.S. exports.

He will revise NAFTA.

He will invest in rural small businesses and fight to expand high-speed Internet access. He will improve rural schools and attract more doctors to rural areas.

The Obama plan will increase funding for federal workforce training programs and direct these programs to incorporate green technologies training, such as advanced manufacturing and weatherization training, into their efforts to help Americans find and retain stable, high-paying jobs. Obama will also create an energy-focused youth jobs program to invest in disconnected and disadvantaged youth.

The Obama comprehensive energy independence and climate change plan will invest in America's highly-skilled manufacturing workforce and manufacturing centers to ensure that American workers have the skills and tools they need to pioneer the first wave of green technologies that will be in high demand throughout the world. Obama will also provide assistance to the domestic auto industry to ensure that new fuel-efficient vehicles are built by American workers.

I also agree with his policies on Iraq, as he will press the leaders to reconcile as he withdraws troops. He has made it clear that he won't repeat the mistake the U.S. has made in the past of drawing out too quickly and leaving behind an unstable force.

I agree with his stance to talk to any world leaders, friend or enemy.

I like that he is putting the focus back on Afghanistan and our original mission. I don't know why Hillary tried to give him flack for saying that he will chase Al Quaida into Pakistan. I think he's showing that he's dedicated to keeping America safe, and will do what's necessary. He's showing he's not "soft," like so many Republicans seem to want to think.

This is just a few of the reasons I'm voting for him. And yes, some of it is copy-and-pasted from his website, but that's where I read his platform in the first place (as well as Clinton and McCain), so why not? :-)

Source(s): Obama '08 Barack the vote! EDIT: You're welcome :-) Sorry about the sigh at the beginning, it's just that I've answered this question a couple of times and I wished I would have saved the answer somewhere handy! But typing it all out again is good too - it helps me reveiw exactly why I'm voting for him :-) Best!
  • Megan

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/2/20/201332/807...

That's a pretty comprehensive breakdown of bills sponsored by or authored by Obama. He gets co-sponsers from Democrats and Republicans. He is simply more effective than Clinton at getting bills and amendments dealt with, and the types of bill he devotes his time to says alot about what is important to him - he has a broader scope than Clinton, who admittedly has introduced alot of bills regarding health care and children's welfare. Obama has some of these, but also some addressing global warming and poverty, Iran, campaign finance reform, education, energy, and nuclear proliferation. He simply addresses more.

He's just more effective at getting more stuff done.

Also, a pretty straightforward answer to the question, "Why should I vote for you, Obama?"

Finally, he's been really put the the grindstone the last few weeks, by everyone, and not only does he hold up logically, but he BEHAVES in a dignified way the whole time.

I know this is lengthy but don't you agree with what he says below or would you rather still be in the same war for the next 50 years??

I want to be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in, but I want to make sure that we get all our combat troops out as quickly as we can safely. Now, the estimates are maybe that's two brigades per month. At that pace it would be some time in 2009 that we had our combat troops out, depending on whether Bush follows through on his commitment to draw down from the surge. We don't know that yet. We are spending $9 billion to $10 billion every month. That's money that could be going in South Carolina to lay broadband lines in rural communities, to put kids back to school. When McCain says we'll be there for 50 or 60 or 100 years, it is not just the loss of life, which is obviously the most tragic aspect of it, it's also the fact that financially it is unsustainable. We will have spent $2 trillion at least, it's estimated, by the time this whole thing is over. That's enough to have rebuilt every road, bridge, hospital, school in the US, and still have money left over.

I guess I can't really tell you why, because he hasn't really been specific enough. I mean the fact that he wants to pull out of Iraq carefully and soon says he's a good fit, but i know it can't be determined on that alone. He hasn't said much about economics or health care. One good thing though, is that he wants to unite the nation and move beyond racism, but I think he should be more specific about economic goals.

Look, this election is the simplest in memory, in that Obama & Clinton would be a tremendous improvement over Bush, while McCain would just be four more years of Bush's stupidity. Easy as pie.

because he promises to turn this country over to the muslims!

he is putting cadillacs in every poor persons garage at the expense of people that actually work for a living!

He will have my white neighbor paying for my health care!

he wants brothers to own handguns!

he wants to move the war to Kenya to overthrow the president there and put his brother in that spot!!

what else more do you want? he is perfect!!!!!!!

Source(s): Love toms answer!

Ugh. Too many specifics to list. But what drew me to him in the first place is how I heard over and over again that people who have worked with him in IL and in the Senate respect him so much - yeah, that's right, Repubs and Dems - and say how he is so willing to work with "both sides of the aisle", listen to other opinions, look for ideas from people who may disagree with him.

I think that will be really refreshing after 8 years of a President who thumbed his nose at 50% of the population.

he is going to get an extra 300 million for breast cancer

and he wants a poverty czar

he also opposes the colombia trade pact even though michelle took a million dollars from them.

Please allow me to a minute here to talk about my dog before I answer. His name is Skruffy and he's one stupid dog! Cannot be trained, won't come when I call him, barks at everything, digs holes in the lawn, poops wherever he wants, and is always humping something. Now my answer; I'd vote for my dog before I'd vote for Obama!

Colored people will vote for the colored candidate.