ASK A.S. asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Can spiders 'hear'?Do they have 'ears'?

Can spiders 'hear'?Do they have 'ears'?

Favorite Answer

No they do not, they feel vibrations instead which act in the way as sound, they can tell where the sound is coming from and the approximate distance it is away.

Well not hear exactly being as they don't have any ears. They do have sensory nerves in the ends of their legs though and my observation of the spider shows that at times they wave the two legs in the front in the air as though searching the air for a vibration or a squeak from their mate. It is known that certain spiders emit a squeak audible to human ears. What is not known, I don't think, is if they emit a squeak that is inaudible to human ears. I do know, based on some experiments I have conducted, that the Argiope Appensa is not fazed in the slightest by high frequency emissions made from a computer program that was just barely audible to my human ears. If they do hear high frequency sounds it would have to be extremely high up there, and it is more than likely that they emit the same frequency or maybe their ancestors did. What I would do, had I the technology, would place a spider in a glass or plastic container along with some sort of frequency monitoring device and observe the thing. My hypothesis is that spiders do "hear" high frequency sound and that perhaps one day someone will factually prove that. There is a very informative paper I recently stumbled across on Google after typing in the question. Look for something titled "JSTOR: Reactions of orb-weaving spiders to airborne sounds." It will answer many people's questions. They talk about how spiders respond to sound and web agitation. It is a really wonderful paper and is done by Hubert and Mable Frings, who are animal sound experts. Biology teachers will love it!;) Another great place for spider information is arachnology.com. The site is amazing and includes research of scientists around the world

Mark David | How many eyes does a spider have?

Most spiders have eight eyes, and the way those eyes are arranged can help ...

How many eyes do insects have? How I catch spiders (to take them outside) ...

http://www.mdavid.com.au/spiders/eyes.html - Cached

Spider Facts and information from Meadow Treasures in Saskatchewan ...

How many eyes do spiders have? Most spiders have eight simple eyes. [Insects on

the other hand have large, compound eyes.] The two main eyes of a spider ...

http://www.meadowtreasures.com/spiderfacts.htm

Scary spider thing

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IswIwK-Gjhg

Source(s): GREENWICH 110408.0746BST

some interesting spider facts! :)

A spider is an araneae, an order of arachnid. There are many thousand different kinds of spiders. All spiders have eight legs. Most spiders have eight eyes but some have fewer than eight. They don't have ears, they feel the sound vibrations with tiny hairs on their legs. Their bodies have two parts, the head and the abdomen. The abdomen is plump. Spider blood is light blue. Blood fills up all the empty space in the spider's body, it helps to keep the legs stiff so the spider can walk. Spiders breathe, too. As spiders grow, they molt. That means they shed their old skin and grow a new one. They molt many times before they become adults. Many spiders live for only one year but some, like tarantulas can live much longer. Spiders come in different sizes. Some are fuzzy and others are smooth, and they come in many different colors. Spiders live in many different kinds of places, water, gardens, houses, and the ground. They live where it is hot and where it is cold. They live where it is wet and where it is dry. Some are poisonous and others are not. They all eat insects and some other animals.

Spiders can know that an insect is nearby using tiny slits all over their legs that sense vibration. They do not have ears. When legs are lost in battle, they grow back. They also have sensory hairs spread over the entire body which connects the nerves to the brain. They taste their food with feet.

http://www.backyardmania.org/gonebuggy.htm

• Linda

Maybe you were bit by a radioactive spider during a class trip. I think its all psychoskimatic. You do not actualy hear spiders, you have seen one during a time when your ears were ringing. Or maybe you do have water in the ears. Spiders do not make any noise from what I see. I think you just convinced yourself of this because you seen a spider when your ear was agitating you, now when you see one it reminds you of this. However you should just sit down and realy think about all the reasons why you cannot hear spiders.

Do Spiders Have Ears

I know they don't have ears to hear with and it's all those creepy hair sensors on the jerks. The creepy things you would think have ears of an elephant the way they seem to find me when i go outside in the yard.

Spiders hear through tiny hairs in their legs.These Hairs comprise of a cell that senses vibrations and shocks.

Spiders are fascinating creatures, they do not need to technically "hear". This is because they are able to sense things by vibration with their extraordinary ability to sense things by picking up sound waves caused by these vibrations. This sense also allow spiders to sense their prey as well as their predators. They DO NOT need to hear.

I think spiders communicate mainly via the intranet.

You will always find them on the web.

They can't have - or else every spider for miles around would run away when my wife screams at the sight of one!