Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

What rights do I have as the owner of a condominium?

I am financially struggling; bought a condo with my boyfriend a few years ago, and the Home Owners Association is a nightmare.

They have decided to spray for termites. We are going through some major financial difficulties right now. We have to get a hotel room for two days. One of our neighbors informed us today that the HOA hired a group to spray for termites that uses a toxic, non enviromentaly safe bug spray that has been shown to cause cancer!

What rights do we have? We do not have termites? We where caught up in the 'so called' sub prime mortgage mess. We also rent one of our rooms to a student. She will also have to find alternative accomodation for 2 days and she is flat out broke as well with her family living on the east coast.

What rights do we have? Can we opt to not let our condo get sprayed for termites? Can we be "evicted" (even though we supposedly own this condo) This is very stressful.


Oh...we have to pay for the hotel out of our own pocket. We had no say in the matter. There was no vote. Hope the additional details help

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    I would check your bylaws. An association cannot evict you because you own your property. The only thing they could do is fine you. But check your bylaws, I do not believe they can be the one's to basically "kick you out" of your home for a few days and make you pay for it. If they are spraying inside the home that is your property.

  • 1 decade ago

    You should contact the real estate agent that sold you the place and ask for help.

    You can also try posting on blogs like this one and get advice from an agent of some sort.

    The fact is that the laws are different all over the place and it depends on the condo act that you have signed with your particular corporation.

    If you're having financial troubles you probably can't even speak to a lawyer but you should contact your real estate agent and ask them for the governing body in your area. There is usually a governmental body you can contact and the agent won't charge you anything for a phone call and a bit of advice. The worst thing you can do is sit around and wait. You should also put your protest in writing immediately and submit it to the condo board.

  • 1 decade ago

    complex questions you for help...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.