Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

People indulge in bad like drugs, drinks, cigarettes etc, if so what is wrong addiction to Internet or chat?

Many parents should understand that Internet or chat addiction is not worse compared to other bad addictions. Parents should trust their children.

Update:

According to me everything will be boring after sometime. Initially chatting and internet browsing will be very interesting. Give them complete freedom and see that they themself will get bored.

However you should take care of parental locking and blocking sites and have a close watch on what they do.

Talk to them friendly and know what they are doing.

A free and a freindly communication with children would make them open out with you. Transperancy with children would give you more control on them.

Your freedom would make them love you more.

It will be a win win situation.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

any kind of addiction is very bad....

drugs,drinks,cigattes...show direct and quicker impact on yougsters....internet and chat are slower in showing their harmful effects...

drugs, drinks etc. are surely negative...they have zero positivity...hence shud definitely be kept away....

internet and chatting if used judiciously are positive also..hence they need not be completele eliminated....

but...students and youngsters....must keep themselves away frm all addictions....definitely drugs and drinks...but also excess internet (note the word excess there) and surely chatting....

even if one is chatting with a good person and sharing positive tlks..it still is very time consuming and very addicting...and there r no conversations which cannot be done thru mails but only chatting....yes, with mails it takes more time for the conversation to get completed....but atleast it does not snatch away ur hrs or makes u an addict to it....

i cannot comment on elders...because i am yet a student...for students surely without doubt...chatting is not advisable....after one is settled with one's career then perhaps they can spend time on this...

drugs and all must be eliminated by everyone without exception.

i request u to pls mention in ur Q that " excess" of internet and chatting should be avoided by all...or else youngsters might take different meanings of ur Q here and think that it is encouraging them to spend hrs on the net and chat....which i am sure u r not advicing.

• 1 decade ago

Being a father of two teenage daughters I will say that addiction to drugs CAN not be really compared to internet or Chatting . I agree there is some freedom to be given and one can easily use programs like 'Net nanny' or 'Family alert' to randomly check what sites they can visit. The Deal with them is If I find any wrong site they will be without internet :-) It has worked for 2 years and Kids are keeping their end of bargain. In internet there all ID's are known to me although that is my end of bargain that I do not check .

Source(s): One can be friends with Child But they need Parents ;))
  • 1 decade ago

If the internet has truly become an addiction, then it begins to interfere with their lives, keeping them from doing other more healthy things. :)

• 1 decade ago

Modern parents are friends to their children. It is happening.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • shona
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

i don think parents r wrong...

i mean the first impression of girl using internt or chatting leav s bad impact.

so they always keep ther children away from these kinds of addictions.......................

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes, they should

although... my parent didn't allow me to be on the internet either growing up.. so don't feel alone

Justin

• 1 decade ago

i do not have any objection if someone is bent upon to jump in a garbage dump...

• 1 decade ago

its were information are spread....learned....and if the viewer finds it good..then thats the start of interest directly to the "thing"...

• addictions are bad in general

• 1 decade ago

You are such a pervert

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.