why do they call BMW cars beamers?

just wondering....

Favorite Answer

Its actually Bimmer. Not beamer or Beemer...and heres some info for you...

Bimmer vs Beemer

Enthusiasts vs others

Definitions:

Bimmer - proper accepted slang for BMW cars. Most people don't know this.

Beamer/Beemer - proper accepted slang for BMW motorcycles. You will hear this term used incorrectly by many people.

Bummer - When you get a speeding ticket.

Bitter - Another German car. Very rare; hand built.

So just why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer'?

The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.

All real BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what many call the real BMWs.

In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.

Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.

So, of course for any true enthusiast, there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.

Unfortunately, in the US and Canada, and perhaps other countries, there was a time (kind of still is) where for various reasons, a BMW owner was considered an upwardly mobile person, and of course due to the fun in driving their BMWs most all of them had big grins on their faces.

Hence it is little surprise that the non enthusiast types out there incorrectly labeled BMW cars and their owners as 'beamers' or 'beemers'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will bring Freedom to the world and the rest of the other Planets...

• ronca

Bmw Beamer

Beamer Car

Simple! Cuz it BEAMS in the streets, it stands out from ordinary car makes. By the way, Beamer and Bimmer refer to BMW cars, while Beemer refers to BMW motorcycles. The 3 words, Bimmer, Beemer, and Beamer DON't refer to Land Rover and Mini.

I Just love calling my bmw a beamer

• I adopted a Jack Russel dog. she came with the name Beamer. I love saying I have a Beamer. Then tell them my dog came with the name "Beamer", SO, I have a Beamer, with 1 headlight cause she is blind in her right eye :) I Love Her soo, Much !!!!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

why do they call BMW cars beamers?

just wondering....

Source(s): call bmw cars beamers: https://shortly.im/Bps5N

I all ways thought it was because the older BMWs had such pronounced headlights. When most cars had just 2 headlight BMWs had 4 and sometimes HUGE under the bumper drivings lights. The correct spelling is BIMMER....

It depends if your a sepo or a skip/kiwi sepos call em bimmers skips call em beamers cultural differences i sposse.

The lights looked like they were beaming at you. The correct term for cars was "Bimmer" and the bikes were "Beamers"

It's time for an old man to answer . The old model BMW's headlights were inset into the grill and they looked like two eyes beaming at you when they approach you in traffic