Thursday Night....Cotton Wool Kids....will you watch...????

CH4....9.00pm

Parents that want their kids micochipped and use webcams to keep an eye at them at nursery...We live in an increasingly fearful age ...when overprotective parents hardly dare let their offspring out of their sight.....but what is this anxiety doing to our kids......this documentary...seeks to find out.....

Favorite Answer

I did watch it and I felt sorry for the kids. It is natural for parents to worry, but to put all that fear on to your kids is unforgivable in my opinion.

• ?

I'm glad I hate the feel of cotton wool ! I was fairly free and easy with my kids - not many dangers then - but my grandchildren have more rules - and yes, the Madeleine Mc Cann disappearance has worried the youngsters - posters are still everywhere to remind them. However, those few mums and dads in the programme were way, way OTT and that poor 13 year old boy....... how would he cope on a school adventure holiday? Excellent programme, though

I really can't understand some people. You find that a majority of kids who are "wrapped in cotton wool" by their parents do turn out to be disruptive. They don't live in the real world! As for microchipping - my two cats and two dogs are microchipped not my kids!

Like many of the respondents I used to go out at 9 in the morning on school holidays to catch a bus to see my friends. I would return home about 5 or 6. As long as my mum or dad knew roughly where I was I was OK. I also used to let my kids go out but, unlike my parents, I had access to a car so could pick them up if necessary. This was before mobile phones so I always made sure they had 10p for a public phone.

We still had dodgy people around then but, if one of them spoke to you, you would tell a "grown up" and he./she would sort them out! Nowadays, it is such a compensation-chasing world that you daren't even speak to someone who is doing wrong for fear of recriminations.

I would not like to watch my kids in nursery via webcam - it would make me more stressed!

It might be an interesting programme to watch although it will probably make my blood boil!! Thanks for letting me know it is on.

• sammy

I will be watching yes I think we do live in an age of cotton wool kids and I can remember going out all day and my mum not knowing where I was but I think we as parents are much more aware of pervs now so we don't let our kids out as much.Also there's no community spirit years ago if you saw kids misbehaving as an adult you shout at them now they would turn on you so you don't tend to do it.I've had a mouthful from a group of girls who were taking the mickey out of my 5 year old.We were at a park he was pretending he was superman one girl started taking the mickey so I told her to grow up and to leave the park she told me to f off I said that's lovely do your kiss your mum with that mouth.We left and I called the park ranger.

I switched off half way through, I've never seen such paranoid drivel in all my life. I'd never chip my kids, or bring them up as some Big Brother Slave in constant fear of .... nothing.

Get your act together, parents on cotton wool kids, you're bringing up socialy deformed kids!

My family is not overprotective and we have all given all the kids quite a lot of freedom. However, some time ago , one of the grandsons had a fall off his 'heelies' and a lady stopped to help him. He told her to leave him alone ,he'd be OK in a minute- he told me later that she might have been the person who took Madeleine. (she was a lady who knew him and me )

It's TV/Newspapers that are making people paranoid - I'll probably watch though

i havent heard about the programme,but will definatelt watch it, as a mum of 4 and 1 on the way, i know only too well that you cant watch your child 24hrs a day but this is what gives them their own individuality, i know of people who only have 1 child and are so over protective that the child will burst into tears at the slightest thing, because they are used to their parents protecting them,these children will never get a backbone and stick up for themselves, my eldest daughter is 12 now and she has started going out with friends after school,i worry about her, but at the end of the day she needs her freedom,at that age,i wouldnt have liked myparents to watch my everymove(even though i wasnt getting up to mischeif) although i did stress tomy daughter to be careful because of the so called "shannon matthews abduction" kids are kids, let them enjoy their childhood,i think i'd be stressed moreif isaw my child fall over at nursery viaa webcam,and i couldnt comfort him, a childs time at schoo/nursery gives the parent a break, the thought of watching it on webcam isobsessive, looking forwardto watching it.thanks

I think it will be a good programme for those who have kids and grandkids to watch as it could really help them. As my kids are grown up and my granchildren live in Athens I probably won't watch it - depends what else is on.

• momof3

Kimmy i feel like tagging my 22 yrs old as god knows what she gets up to in town late at night to come home at 4 in the morning lol

I may watch it as like you do not watch BBUSA however idol is on so may watch it on E4 after.

I've got it Sky + kimmy as BB USA will be on at the same time. I saw a trailer for it and it looks quite interesting !