Evolutionists: why do you have blind faith in the mountains of evidence and testing that point to evolution?

How can you criticize Christians for having blind faith in the bible when you have blind faith in peer-reviewed scientific findings of biological anthropology that are rigorously studied and tested and rely heavily on other peer-reviewed findings of archaeology, paleontology, geology, chemical dating, and many other fields and is no way or shape supported only by a few random "evolutionist scientists" but rather the majority of the scientific community?

After all, it's just a theory. Like heliocentricism.

Shoot, sorry for the double question.

PaulCyp and Serena: Are you telling me this "gravity" is what holds me down, and not SINS?

It is scientifically proven that people have fewer sins on the moon.

Wolfgang DelaSangre: I have to break character for a second to say that you should really ask those questions in the science section of Y!A-- have you ever asked a scientist those moronic questions? They would rip you up in two seconds.

Best Answer

Yes, clearly my position is baseless and completely unsupported because I don't have a poorly-translated and re-re-re-translated book of Bronze Age superstition to back it up. Thanks for showing me the error of my Evil-utionist ways!

• cosmo

This IS a real problem---it's not possible for anyone today to personally redo all the experiments and observations that form the basis of our scientific understanding of the world. Some of the experiments are so expensive that they can't be redone by anyone, much less an interested amateur. So, a scientifically-minded person must trust other scientists, at least to some extent. This is a weakness in the scientific method---it allows an out: "I just don't trust those people!" This is exploited by creationists---if scientists can be slandered as untrustworthy, badly motivated, or even actually evil, then the whole scientific enterprise can be called into question.

They discard all evidence that proves otherwise? I'm sorry, did you just imply that the remains of a skull being a mile from those of a knee disproves the theory of evolution? And here you are criticising 'evolutionists' for being intellectually dishonest. If a scientist actually had evidence that could prove evolution false, that would be one of the most significant discoveries ever to be made in the field of biology. He or she would not have to worry about obtaining funding.

There is only a small gap in evolution, between caveman and us, the larger smarter brained man. The earth is billions of years old,several stages of life has evolved during this time, proof that it wasn't made in a 6 day period like the bible claims so you can throw all that out the window. Maybe that little gap could be filled with extraterrestrials coming here and changing the DNA of caveman so we could be smarter so we would make better slaves in a way, except we then gained the knowledge between right and wrong, and rebelled because slavery wasn't right and we knew it. Not being able to reverse what they had done they traveled on and come back only when we started blowing up a-bombs sending large shock waves of energy into the universe that alerted the aliens of the power we had discovered, they had to come back to make sure that we weren't doing anything that would upset the solar system we live in or theirs because their a$$es would be in deep sh!t If their mommy's found out what they had done to us stupid little beings. Because not only are we killing off animals to extinction but we are killing ourselves too. This is no more far fetched than the bible is!

I know you're making a funny parallel to creationist ramblings, but I want to point out that I don't have blind faith in science and peer-reviewed scientific findings, etc. I have direct evidence that the process of peer review is the best one for critically analyzing scientific evidence and that even when mistakes make it through, the practice of independent verification makes it extremely likely that these mistakes will be caught and corrected in good time.

I think your question answers itself. There are two kinds of faith:

Religious Faith: Believing in something contrary to the evidence as a measure of fealty to a deity.

Other definition: Strongly held conviction that what you believe is true. This is often built on evidence.

So, when a creationist insults an Atheist for having too much faith, he's often meaning the second definition but implying the first. It's a sort of rhetorical device, and it sounds relatively true objectively--but the fact is that it couldn't be any more misleading.

There is no higher authority on a shared subjective view of reality than peer-reviewed consensus coupled with the scientific method.

Yes just a theory. Like gravity. Like the existence of atoms. You contradicited yourself. First you said that scientists have "blind faith", which means faith without evidence. That you rightly stated that scientific theories are based on "findings of biological anthropology that are rigorously studied and tested". That's right. Studied, tested, corroborated, supported. That isn't "blind" faith. Furthermore, scientists are always open to modifying theories in light of new evidence. If you don't like evolutionary theory, by all means feel free to propose another scientific theory that explains the observed evidence as well as biological evolution does. But you better hurry. Solid evidence supporting evolution is piling up every day you delay.

"blind-faith" is something I do not have. I don't have faith in evolution. I choose to accept it. And the "mountains" of evidence only supports what I accept. Christians have faith in a simple book. Book vs. research and science? I choose research and science

Yeah, it's a theory, just like the THEORY of gravity. It is not blind faith when you have as much evidence as the theory of Evolution has. Your "Intelligent design" has no scientific evidence. You need to learn the definition of 'blind faith', we do not have blind faith in evolution. You have blind faith in your sky daddy.

Emmy, you are made of win. Just making sure you know this.

Also, "gravity" is caused by the flat Earth moving upwards at a constant speed, not sin.