CharChar asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How big do female pit bulls get?

I adopted a dog from a rescue league and was told that they thought she was a purebred pitbull. However, she is now full grown and she is about knee-height. She also looks more like some breed of bull dog than a pit bull. How big do female pit bulls usually get? I always thought they were taller and more lean than my dog.

Best Answer

She could be an American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff.) Or a mix. You can't really be sure a dog is "purebred" unless you have their breeding papers.

Pit Bull : "The APBT ranges in size from 22 pounds to 110 pounds (rare), with the most common being between 35 - 55 pounds (16-25 kg.), in fact the original APBT's were between 20 - 40 pounds (9-18 kg.) and were bred small for their main purpose, fighting, These dogs are varying from small to extra large. A very common misconception is that APBT's are muscle bound (viscous) hulks that weigh in around 85 pounds (39 kg.) and this is generally not the majority, Most of the APBT's that Are that large have been crossed with another breeds"

AmStaff: "Weight: 57-67 pounds (25-30 kg)"

P.S. - A "pit bull" is a type of dog and can actually cover all the bully breeds (APBT, AmStaff, Staffy, etc.) "The American Pit Bull Terrier" is a breed though....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanstaffordshire....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

http://www.pbrc.net/

Post a pic and we may be able to help more.

Source(s): Owner

Before you do anything, try to get some professional training. If she should ever get loose like this, she could kill an animal or a person. and you NEVER want that to happen. I wouldn't suggest rehoming her on your own. For two reasons. 1) You never know if the people she goes to are actually going to take care of her and continue proper training. 2) If she is aggressive now, why would you put that responsibility on another person? I have a pit bull / presa canario and she's about 10 months old. She has never shown any aggressive behavior towards anything. And I am working hard to keep it that way. If your dog can't be trained out of this aggression, you may want to consider having her euthanized. You can have her cremated, and keep the ashes. But you need to think what is in the best interest of the dog and others around you. And to the first person who commented, I bet you've never owned a pit bull, never did research about them, and probably never met one. You are most likely saying that based on the media attention pit bulls get. And ya know what? I think YOU are the reason pit bulls have the reputation they do. Because uninformed cruel people RUN THEIR MOUTHS when they have no idea what they are talking about. So just keep your mouth shut. =)

• Jennifer3 years agoReport

Like YOU! YOU are so Misinformed!
      I am a Bully Breed Owner. .
      Unless, you KNOW what you're speakin of, it's best to remain quiet.
      Cause at this point, you have just proved your IQ.. Dumber than Rocks!
      People like you, give these gentle giants, the bad reputation that follows the name.

It depends on your height, mesure the pit and we will be able to tell you with correct measurements.

a pit bull is a "bully breed" which means that they were raised to fight bulls. They have the same stance as bull dogs, only taller and a bit leaner, but not to much!

• well tradionally your lookin at 30 to 50 with some acceptions in the upwards of 65... now on the other hand there are the less "gamie" "thick boned" "block heads" whatever you want to call them that get up to 110 pounds however this is not the true demensions of an apbt

Source(s): Books... just read them

How Big Do Pitbulls Get

• Ty B

Usually about 40 lbs give or take

35lbs to 65lbs. Any bigger than that is not a pure bred

22-110lbs