What is the difference between your favorite albums and the best albums?

I see a lot of people saying things along the lines of "The greatest album of all time is ________, but my favorite album is ________." My own personal example is: Digital Underground - Sex Packets is in my list of my 10 favorite albums, but I would never say it's one of the 10 greatest albums ever. A... show more I see a lot of people saying things along the lines of "The greatest album of all time is ________, but my favorite album is ________." My own personal example is: Digital Underground - Sex Packets is in my list of my 10 favorite albums, but I would never say it's one of the 10 greatest albums ever. A list of my favorite albums and a list of what I think are the best albums would be very similar, but there would be some discrepancies. I can't explain why though. It seems logical that those lists should be exactly the same. If you do the same thing, can you give a reasonable explanation as to why you think that way?