Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

How do you uninstall programs on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard?

Ive just installed some programs on my new ibook but because im so new to it, i dont know how to do some basics such as un-installing programs.

Also does anyone know where i can find information about what mac keys represent compared to windows keys, as the keyboard is a little different too and some keys i dont know what they do!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (and previous versions like 10.4 Tiger and 10.3 Panther) there are several ways to un-install applications.

Heres a couple

A. Simply Drag the Application to the trash, (you might need to enter your password) and Empty the trash. Bam! Thats all!

or

You can download a program that completely erases the entire Program from your system (because the programs sometimes leave something called preference files, in your system, so when their installed again, you'll have them back the same way it was before)

B. Download the application "App Delete" (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/... download it, install it, and open it. *It will open, and all you have to do is drag any application you want to uninstall to the icon in the dock. (You might have to enter your password), and thats it!

As for keyboard shortcuts, i know, they can get confusing, but its really just down to how much you use them.

Here is the direct apple link to their keyboard shortcuts for Mac OS X

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=754...

Lets take a shortcut for example.. Such as this one

Option-Shift-Command-Delete - which empties the trash without you needing to confirm it (it'll just empty it immediately)

This is the keyboard layout on Mac's

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/...

Option - is the 'Alt' button on your apple keyboard.

Shift - is the 'Shift' button on your apple keyboard

Command- is the Command (is an infinity symbol) / Apple Logo (Apple logo may or may not be there, depending on the keyboard you are using, but its still the same)

Delete - Delete Key lol

Press them together, and presto! trash is emptied!

theres the quick guide!

=)

-hope i helped

-ken.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most mac programs are completely bundled. You should be able to simple drag the application to the trash and then empty it. If you installed it with from a .pkg file then that .pkg file should be able to assist you with an uninstall as well.

Remember how you used CTRL + some other key all the time in Windows. Well on mac your friend is the key with the apple logo on it. That's the biggest difference between keys.

• 1 decade ago

Most programs on the Mac can be uninstalled by opening the applications folder and dragging the application to the trash.

If you want to uninstall a professional application or an application which is not drag and drop and is non-Apple you should consult the software company web site or included documentation for information about uninstalling.

For example, Microsoft has included a Remove Office application in their folder.

As for downloading applications from the Apple site, most of those applications are 3rd party apps.

I would visit their web site and determine how to uninstall.

Source(s): also check the read me files or go to the 3rd party websites.
  • Betty
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Is there no help files with the famous mac system.. if there is then read them.. go into the help files and type in add and remove programs or goto Mac support web site and ask there

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

There are many many reports out there that don't have movies. Books can explore ideas and ideas without having to get worried in regards to a special results budget.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Best Mac Antivirus http://MacAntiVirus.fastsolut.info/?C3kl
  • 3 years ago

normally i watch a great deal of tv but i really do love a good booklet if i get into the publication i wont put it down and i really like that i reach use my thoughts so much more than with a tv

• 1 decade ago

You could try appzapper which removes applications and it is compatible with leopard 10.5 osx link is below for download.

• 1 decade ago

Drag the application to the trash.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

fn+backspace = forward delete

ctrl+touchpad button = equivalent of rightclick

Drag the application you don't like into the waste basket and then empty the wastebasket.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.