is possession of 1 - 4 grams of crack cocaine a felony?

in harris county texas

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't know about Texas. In Illinois, possession of any measurable amount of crack cocaine is a felony. The level of the felony depends on the amount of the crack. 1-4 grams is not that much, but it's definitely measurable. It would be a Class 4 felony in IL, the lowest level; the next level triggers with at least 15 grams. With the crackdown on drugs in this country nationwide, I would think it would be the same in most states. Texas especially is tough on crime, so I'm willing to bet it's a felony and you'll probably get the death penalty. ;-)

• Under the Texas Controlled Substances Act section 481.115

Possession of crack is a Third Degree Felony in the State of Texas. If convicted the offense carries with it a penalty range of 2- 10 years in the Instituitional Division of Texas Department of Corrections (Prison) and a fine not to exceed $10,000.

This does not mean that a person will go to jail if convicted for this offense, it merely means that this is the range of punishment. Other punishment options are available to individuals without an extensive criminal history. Deferred Adjudication and Community Supervision (Probation) are commonly and frequently given to defendants as part of a plea agreement.

I hope that this helps,

Jesse Hernandez

Criminal Defense Lawyer

SouthTexasDefense.com

Source(s): Bennett & Hernandez Criminal Defense Lawyers Floresville, Texas
  • 1 decade ago

Yes.

Less than 3 grams is a Class D felony (0.5-3 years), more than 3 grams is a Class C felony (2-8 years), less than 3 grams and in a park, public housing, school bus or within a thousand feet of a school is a Class B felony (6-20 years), and more than three grams in one of those same situations is a Class A felony (20-50 years). On top of that the fines can reach up to $10 000 in any of those cases. A very stupid idea.

• 1 decade ago

YES Definately that is a big amount, it might sound small if it was sugar but not when it comes to drugs. Even a shot of it in foil or whatever they put it in is a felony. You would be charged with possession and sometimes you can be charged with inteant to sell drugs which is very serious and that amount is enough for them to think that if they want. I find that even though you may be caught for something serious if you just speak politely and co-operate. Make it easier on ur self and they will treat u with respect back. They will still charge you but u won't be there for hours and hours and they usually won't object to bail when or if a bail hearing is ever needed. Thats why I don't understand people who just don't want to make it easy, they've been caught & they can't change it so get it over with. If they ask where u got the drugs u just say off the street & give a general description that could be anyone that way your not a narc which everybody hates & when u get bail easy people think you've talked, its a rough & unjust world we live in. Isn't Texas one of the worst states to be caught with drugs or any kind of crime ?

Source(s): Had someone in my family on drugs & we've all been through a lot but the police always say he is polite and not a hassle to them.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. In almost any jurisdiction, any amount of crack is a felony. The amount plays a big part on whether you have enough to be considered distribution, which is even more trouble. Best idea, stay away from it.

Source(s): Me Police Officer
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk Tssk Tsssk

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

pos. of ANY cocain is a felony

• 1 decade ago

I believe any amount you possess makes you guilty...just stay away from it!

• toon l
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes

• 1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.