Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 decade ago

Can a deaf person legally drive?

A person doesn’t have to take a hearing test when they apply for a driver’s license.

But they wouldn’t be able to hear police, fire truck, or ambulance sirens.

Favorite Answer

Absolutely.

In fact, it has been proven that deaf or hearing impaired people are better drivers, with fewer accidents or mishaps.

I am deaf myself (I have about 20% of "normal" hearing and I have been that way since I was born). Yes, I can hear sirens. They are very loud and high pitched. I can't hear them as loudly as a normal person can but I can hear them. As for the flashing lights, those are easily seen.

I use my other senses when I drive. I'm much more visibly aware of what is going on around me. In fact, how can all those idiots with blasting stereos hear a siren or horn? I can probably hear it before they do. Also, the sense of touch is very helpful...I can feel vibrations that people with normal hearing can't.

No, a hearing test is not required. The only restriction on my license is that the vehicle I drive must have right and left side mirrors. Since all cars have those anyway, that is not a problem.

EMT

I also drive an ambulance. I don't have any problem.

• barile

Can Deaf People Drive

Not all emergency vehicles lights can be seen especially if that vehicle is on the other side of a building. The sirens are to warn you if you don't see the lights. Driving deaf should require a sensor in the car that informs the driver that sirens are active. This will not help them if someone is honking a warning at them but can possibly keep them from a collision with an emergency vehicle. It would depend upon the degree of deafness.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can a deaf person legally drive?

Source(s): deaf person legally drive: https://shortly.im/UOmI9

Im am also 20% deaf i can hear most things, i feel like we as in deaf people drive a little better then peolpe that can hear we use are eyes much more,and for me i like to feel the rode as i drive and were i stay the police officers have to lean ASL. I loved that you want to learn about deaf peolpe.

I hope that helps

Yes. I work with at least 15 totally deaf people in the Postal Service. All of them have legal drivers licenses. Some even have pretty loud stereos in their cars because they can feel the bass!

• Ashley

Deaf drivers are better than hearing drivers. As for police, fire trucks and ambulances, those things all have lights to go with them that are impossible to ignore.

Deaf are more attuned with their vision than most hearing people. They depend more on their vision, so they pick up on a lot of things that you would miss.

.

Yes.

I used to teach the deaf.They tend to make up for their lack of hearing by extra observation and also have better vibration recognition for when to change gear etc.

Instructing them on how to drive was very interesting. I had to develop a number of new techniques for instructional purposes and also learnt sign language.

On one occasion I saw an ex-student and waved...that caused pandemonium, as my deaf student was only on her second lesson and thought it was an instruction - I never made the same mistake again!

.

Source(s): DipADI,RoADA(Gold)

yes deaf people can drive. my daughter was born deaf and when she is 16 we are going to let her drive

• Fred C

Funny, in 43 years as a licenced driver, I have never had a problem with a deaf driver. They are actually, for the most part, more aware of what is going on, and are never distracted by cell phones like so many yahoos on the road now.