Can I connect on the internet from my local library wireless connection?

My local library is less than 1 mile from my house and it has wireless internet access. Is there anyway I can use wireless equipment and connect to the internet from home using their connection? If so, what kinds of questions should I be asking. Example, Should I ask if they have WiMAX or WiFi or Satellite connection?

What kind of equipment do I need for wireless connection?

• John S
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure, but they probably won't help you acessing their wireless from home, it's not something they probably want to get involved in and it is desinged for library patrons.

1 mile away or slightly less is too far... wireless normally goes only about 300 ft. if there are no obstructions (called "line of sight", cause you can see the router) -- so anything over that is not guaranteed. To make things worse.. the library's wireless access point is probably on the INSIDE of the building for patrons to access, thus it has to go thru several walls before it can even EXIT the building.. further weakening the signal.

I'm assuming you can't see the library's wireless at home, so you want to know if buying the right equipment will help.

In simplest terms.. NO, equipment and/or antennas can only enhance what is already there, so if you can see the Libraries wireless on your laptop but only get 1 bar.. then an antenna might bump that to 3 bars..but not much more.

Test it by getting your laptop (or borrowing someones) and walk outside the library, if you can still access their wireless.. start walking towards your house, pausing periodically to check the signal strength. Anything less then 2 bars is going to be unrealiable.

WiMAX is pretty new, so I'd be surprised if they are using it. WiMAX can go 1 mile, but you'd still need line of sight. WiMAX would only work if the library put the antenna on their roof or something like that.

Satelite -- if they are using it.. won't help you, cause that only helps them talk to the satelite..it won't allow you to connect to them.

Satelite has HUGE latency issues though, so it's much slower then DSL, Cable, Fiber, etc.

I should know.. I live on a farm and are currently using Satelite as my only internet connection besides dial-up.

I doubt there will be anyway for you to access their wireless unless you are within 300, maybe 500ft of the library and you have pretty good line of sight.

BUT, to answer your question about equipment.. IF it were possible, then you'd need a pretty beefy external antenna probably a parabolic dish antenna tuned specifically for wireless (2.4GHz) and precisely point it at the libraries wireless access point.

Here is a link to some homemade WiFi antennas: http://www.exe64.com/mirror/wokfi/

and Here is a link to some professional ones:

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

Don't believe the others that said yes.

1 mile is waay to far to pick a wifi internet connection. This is probably because they have LAN (local area network) which has a wireless range of about 50meters maybe. It would only work if your house was across the street from the library.

You would need router after router for every 50m or so if you wanted to connect. And obviously thats not possible.

Sorry but no, it cant be done.

Check out this cool video I found about boosting wifi range (when you get internet in your house)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnHz75dmQY

Youtube thumbnail

A mile is quite a long distance. Normal WiFi won't connect that far. If they have good antennas and powerful access points, and your line of sight to the library is not blocked, you may be able to "see" the signal, but your computer's wifi capability may not be powerful enough for the library's hardware to see your computer's signal. Remember, it's two-way. Wimax uses microwave technology and chances are the cost to install Wimax hardware in your home will greatly exceed the cost to have common residential Internet service (DSL, Cable, dial-up, etc.)

Unless the library has WiFi, you won't be able to use the internet. A mile is still very far distance that wireless internet can't travel.

Well your computer should show the library wireless connection on your computer if you are in close enough range. go to view my wireless connections, since it is a library it should be an unsecured network-which would allow you to get access without an passkey.

but if it does not show up on your computer as an available wireless network your out of luck... I think.

good lcuk

labtop is equipment lol

um go to wireless thingy the icon with 2 comps and if it doesnt show the library internet.. probably too far bud :)

Source(s): my noodle

no u can not connect to the libary... for a number of reasons.. one you would be stealing, and u would b on there IP, and wifi would not make it that fair. wireless internet only works with local WIFI that i know of, there is sateliite internet, but its not cheap.

try to connect with wifi, but it very well could be out of range.

you also might need login info but i bet you could ask them for it and say you would use in the library

i went to a library and saw that they had certain areas to plug your laptop in if your not equipped with wireless already

I think you could use it if you actually went to the library. but if its a mile from your house, i think thats way too far and it wouldnt work.