Can I drive the autobahn in Germany to Prague?

I want to drive the autobahn in Germany. We plan on taking a train right now from Berlin to Prague, but would it be possible/advisable to rent a car and drive it into Prague? Would this work when travelling into the Czech Rep.? We are also headed from Prague to Vienna. Then to Venice, then to Zurich. My first stop is Amsterdam, right now we have a flight to Berlin, how about driving that instead?

Favorite Answer

Whether the rental car company approves of driving into other countries--and whether the insurance covers it there--depends entirely on the rental car company and possibly the available packages they have. If you do wish to drive, ensure those things first; make sure you have an international driver's license; familiarize yourself with the route via roadmap, and get the smallest possible car you can get by with--they're less expensive to rent AND are generally better with gas mileage.

I've driven all over Germany and to all of the countries you've mentioned, from Germany. I haven't necessarily driven on the same routes you've listed, per se; but I've driven to all of those places from where I used to live in Germany. Trains are *sometimes* cheaper, but not always... it depends on the route and on the type of train.

I might suggest looking into cheap European airlines, too, like Ryanair, SkyEurope, or EasyJet. We don't really have anything like those in the U.S.--and US air carriers would probably have a conniption if we did anyway.

Driving IN those cities you've mentioned is tricky; driving TO them is relatively simple. Depending on your budget you might want to look into a cheap hotel or something on the outskirts of the larger cities that are situated close to a bus line or Metro or city train stop, rather than trying to drive into/around in the city during your stay there.

The drive from Amsterdam to Berlin would be a relatively long one... you'd be looking at roughly a five to six hour drive, or thereabouts. Berlin is a little closer to Prague... I'd estimate along the lines of perhaps a 3-hour to 4-hour drive between those two cities. You'd be looking at a 4, maybe 5 hour drive from Prague to Vienna... and from Vienna to Venice, 5 to 6 hours. Crossing the mountains, depending on the time of year and the amount of other drivers on the road, can add to that potentially--the same for driving from Venice to Zurich, which is a toughie to estimate... I'd put it in the ballpark of 6 or 7 hours, give or take. All of those figures are ballpark, however... the trains might take less time, depending on how direct they are between those locations. Bear in mind that for the Czech Republic, Austria, and Switzerland, you'll need a vignette sticker on your windshield to be able to drive there (Switzerland and Austria use the revenue from the vignettes for the upkeep on all the Alpine roads meandering through the mountains in their countries; eastern European countries often use them as a means for bringing in general revenue for upkeep of the rest of their roads). You can purchase them usually just before or after the border--although I recommend getting them just before the border, usually at the nearest available gas station just off the freeway before you cross.

I can give you more tips, at least within my own experience. I have less experience with trains, though, and no experience with trains between different countries--I drove or flew everywhere I went.

Source(s): Visited 17 European countries thus far, most of which by car.

If you drive on the A8 (or any 'A' road in the Czech Rep., you'll need a highway pass. Buy one at any petrol station. The road between the German border and Prague is most definitely not completed. But you should be able to follow the signs. The problems are these: the price of fuel is the equivalent of US$6.50 a gallon, and then once you get to Prague you have to deal with traffic there and parking, which is very expensive. You really are better off taking a train unless you intend to do a lot of driving around each individual country. But if you are only going to be hanging out in the major cities take the train.

Source(s): Lived in the Czech Rep. for two years and drove a lot, including to Berlin.
  • cimra

Tell the rental agency you want to travel to the Czech Republic. Some rental agencys in W. Germany don't have insurance coverage to former eastern block countries, other rental places will limit the cars you can take there. No Mercedes, BMW or Audi. You will end up with a Peugeot or an Opel, I have no idea why they do this since there is no border between Gemany and the Czech republic anymore. If you dont already have a GPS rent or borrow one, its well worth it. The roads are good to all the places you describe, you will have no problems, but it will take you longer to drive than the distances alone suggest. The roads can be congested, lots of construction, you will be crossing the Alps twice, give yourself extra time for the drive.

Driving From Prague To Vienna

Prague is one of the towns worth-visit and to achieve that you can begin planning your vacation with hotelbye . Starting with the wonderful area across the Prague Castle or the Strahov monastery with its remarkable selection and end with …the whole outstanding town, Prague is simply incredible. In Prague you can even visit the little home where Franz Kafka worked or the attractive Prague Castle gardens from where you can like a special view of the town with its picturesque red roofs. In this city you'll never get bored. If you should go through the spring you may find the spring trees in flower; in the summer you might find extended dusks; fall will provide you with colorful leaves and particular mild and in the winter you will enjoy the complete city included with innocent white snow.

Munich is really a large city with: cafe, nightlife and accommodation entries, with hotelbye , you'll have a look. Munich may be the capital town of Bavaria and the third-most populous city in Germany. For ages the seat of the Dukes, Electors, and Kings of Bavaria, the Munich Residenz is undoubtedly one of Europe's most magnificent palaces. Organized around seven big courts, the huge resident complex comprises three major sections: the Königsbau, fronting into Max-Joseph-Platz; the Alte Residenz, facing Residenzstrasse; and the Festsaalbau (Banqueting Hall) overlooking the Hofgarten. The initial section of the large complex to be developed was the magnificent Antiquarium, built-in 1579 and today part of the exceptional Residenz Museum. Munich is really a town with lots of record, make sure you investigate it whole.

Vienna is just a city with a very high standard of living, an element that is very loved by the countless visitors who arrive at the Austrian capital and you also could be one at the least for a couple times, learn how with hotelbye . A few of the places must-see from Vienna are: the St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Chapels of St. Eligius, St Tirna, and St. Catherine and South Tower or Schönbrunn Palace. Schönbrunn Palace is just a place worth visiting not just for its wonderful architecture, but also because of its beautiful park-like setting. This Baroque palace contains significantly more than 1,441 rooms and apartments, including these after utilized by Empress Maria Theresa. Schönbrunn Park and Gardens is just a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

That depends on, what your interests are. Girls? - Go to towns with huge universities, they speak English History? - Depends what time, middle ages-Rothenburg .o.T Sports? - depends what sport Germany is not so different, then the US. People respect you, if you respect them. If you have money to rent a car, you can have some fun on the Autobahn, going 130 miles/hr. Or if you want to see some real old castles, take a tour of the Rhine Valley between Ruedesheim and Cologne. If you go there, to have fun on their account, that can back fire, I wouldn't recommend it. But in any case, you should read up a bit on the stuff, you are interested in, there are plenty of web sites.

• Bernd

it's very easy to do so.

you will land in Berlin Tegel

take the A115,heading towards the south LEIPZIG and DRESDEN A10 is the next

when you reach the A10, you go towards FRANKFURT/Oder (POLAND)

after 25km you reach another crossroad, go on the A13 direction DRESDEN, stay on the A13...DRESDEN is the goal

In DRESDEN you follow the raod signs to PRAG

the A13 become the A4 and than you got to go on the A17

direction PRAG

In Czechia the Autobahn is not completely ready but most of it and its called the A8

by the way: we have European numbering, all of the roads have a little green no. as well, the one from Tegel to Prag is the E55

From PRAG you take the A1 to Bruno and than the A2 to Vienna.

all very easy.

From Vienna you take the A3 direction GRAZ

you can stay on the A2 until you reach Italy.

in Italy it becomes the A23 and leads you to Venice, stay on the same road.

And by the way: of cause you can read all the road signs, they are international.

Could be some sh..it weather in the mountains right now.

safe travel

Bernd

It is mostly cheaper to drive within one country.

If I was wanting to drive so much, I would rent a car in Germany and take it for a tour, but just for one day and return it to the same place you picked it up.

Driving long distances is mainly tiring and you can almost certainly travel cheaper by train. But it will be an experience to do a day trip and see the Autobahn yourself.

Check for your expected travel times on a map, Google maps will find it for you. Expect to pay two times as much for

petrol as you would do in the USA, (if you do come from there.)

And add a hefty drop-off charge when you want to leave the car in a different European country.

Source(s): http://maps.google.co.uk/maps I travel often in Europe, but I prefer the train.