Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

How can waking up in the night to perform Tahajjud (or Fajr) be made easy?

from Riyad-us-Saliheen, Hadith #1165

1165. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When any one of you sleeps, Satan ties three knots at the back of his neck. He recites this incantation at every knot: `You have a long night, so sleep.' If he awakes and remembers Allah, one knot is loosened. If he performs Wudu', the (second) knot is loosened; and if he performs prayer, (all) knots are loosened. He begins his morning in a happy and refreshed mood; otherwise, he gets up in bad spirits and sluggish state.''

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

from Riyad-us-Saliheen, Hadith #1166

1166. `Abdullah bin Salam (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "O people, promote the greetings, feed (the poor and needy) and perform Salat when others are asleep so that you will enter Jannah safely.''

[At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: This Hadith has glad tidings for those who enthusiastically do all the good works mentioned in this Hadith. "Enter Jannah in peace'' here means that they will enter Jannah without suffering any punishment in Hell.

from Riyad-us-Saliheen, Hadith #1178

1178. Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Every night there is a special time during which whatever a Muslim asks Allah of any good relating to this life or the Hereafter, it will be granted to him; and this moment comes every night.''

[Muslim].

Commentary: Like the special moment in Jumu`ah, the time when this special moment occurs every night is not determined. But it is generally in the late hours of the night because that is the best time for worship. As in the case of Lailat-ul-Qadr the wisdom of keeping it secret lies in the inducement to search it by means of worship and prayer, praise and remembrance of Allah.

_ _ _

Since praying in the middle of the night is such a valuable form of worship, how can we make it easier for ourselves to awake and do so? Especially for those of us who are in our youth??

Yea but I just take my alarm clock and shut it off right away and dont wake up again and I don't get to pray AND I mess up my sleep for the rest of the night as well.....there's gotta be a better way to do both.....

Favorite Answer

I have a clock in my house which plays the Azan on it according to the prayer times. When it is fajr it does the same and also i have the azzan on my phone which i place under my pillow in case i fail to hear the clock in the sitting room. (bit deaf me) LOL

The beauty of the azzan is so mesmerizing and enchanting that i wake up with a smile to perform the fajr prayer. The benefits of praying the fajr prayer are very wonderful indeed so i wouldn't go missing out a chance on dat and also most importantly i would hate to miss any of my meetings with Allah (swt)

'You are the servant, He is the Master. Prayers come from you, answers come from Him. Abstinence comes from you, protection comes from Him. Repentance comes from you, acceptance comes from Him. Go towards him walking, He will come to you running.'

Bare this in mind.

Such a beautiful saying in the Holy Qur'an many poets have claimed the Qur'an to be the most poetic and beautifulest scripture. non-Muslims and Muslims. It is undeniable.

By de way i totally agree with the hadith given, i tend to be in a bad mood when i miss my prayers i feel the absence of something and my soul is not at peace.

Allah Hafiz

Yeah, that is so true. I have been waking up for Fajr regularly, and my mornings couldn't be any better!

I still want to start waking up a bit earlier to pray Tahajjud, and recite until Fajr starts. Insha Allah.

It's all about motivating yourself. No matter how sleepy you are, just drag yourself to take Wudhu and after you're done with taking Wudhu and standing on the prayer mat getting ready to pray, Alhmadulillah, there is no better feeling like that.

We have to make really strong efforts if we need to achieve good in this life and the hereafter. If there's one thing I've learned, it'd have to be that nothing comes easily. You have to strive to be better. Now is the time. There is no guarantee for your future. So, live for now, and prepare for the hereafter every second of your life.

I was just gonna say alarm clock.

I leave my bedroom door cracked open and put my alarmclock right outside of it. So i have to get up and leave teh room to turn it off. Then i set my cell phone alarm too....about a minute apart...and put it across the room from my bed.....no point in laying down because in less than a minute i'm getting up to turn it off.

Then i drink an energy drink and then bursh my teeth and take a shower. Pretty awake by then. Been only sleeping 4 hrs a night for the past 7 years.

Well we can all pray for each other and we can say the last 4 ayats of surah Khaf ( the Cave):

107 إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ كَانَتْ لَهُمْ جَنَّاتُ الْفِرْدَوْسِ نُزُلًا

108 خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا لَا يَبْغُونَ عَنْهَا حِوَلًا

109 قُل لَّوْ كَانَ الْبَحْرُ مِدَادًا لِّكَلِمَاتِ رَبِّي لَنَفِدَ الْبَحْرُ قَبْلَ أَن تَنفَدَ كَلِمَاتُ رَبِّي وَلَوْ جِئْنَا بِمِثْلِهِ مَدَدًا

110 قُلْ إِنَّمَا أَنَا بَشَرٌ مِّثْلُكُمْ يُوحَى إِلَيَّ أَنَّمَا إِلَهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وَاحِدٌ فَمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو لِقَاءَ رَبِّهِ فَلْيَعْمَلْ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا وَلَا يُشْرِكْ بِعِبَادَةِ رَبِّهِ أَحَدًا

107 "Verily! Those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous deeds, shall have the Gardens of Al-Firdaus (the Paradise) for their entertainment.

108 "Wherein they shall dwell (forever). No desire will they have to be removed therefrom."

109 Say (O Muhammad SAW to mankind). "If the sea were ink for (writing) the Words of my Lord, surely, the sea would be exhausted before the Words of my Lord would be finished, even if we brought (another sea) like it for its aid."

110 Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I am only a man like you. It has been inspired to me that your Ilah (God) is One Ilah (God i.e. Allah). So whoever hopes for the Meeting with his Lord, let him work righteousness and associate none as a partner in the worship of his Lord."

my mobile has two reminders (daily and a temporary one) so i set them up after each other like this: 6:00 am and 6:05 am, so i can wake up

as for the Tahajjud, i am a night owl so i am always awaken and i pray 4 raqas and then 5 later as a Witr

i do this on a daily basis, indesrabable feeling, you will be addicted to it too!!

Physically I guess it will always be a bit uncomfortable if you are a sound sleeper or tired...but emotionally it should be upliftng for the first words of the day from your mouth can likely be a prayer to Allah..wouldn't that be incentive enough to be glad to be woken from a sound sleep?

I've always held the idea that its not supposed to be easy. Your faith in Allah and need to pray makes it easy.

Personally I find getting up and washing my face with cold water and turning the telly on wakes me up. I also try to keep my bed warm so I can get back to sleep quickly.

• Esra

Great and important Q my friend .. or brother :P

the first example you gave is what helped me .. thank god i always get on the nerves of satan .. i'm stubern so it's helped me beat the crap out of him hhaahah

you can sleep v.early and make your day start at around 5 .. i do that .. you also can let a family member wake you by annoying you like spraying water on your face

I love doing that to my sister :)

they hate me for it

I would say it's not easy at all. It is truly "Tawfeeq" of Allah to make one stand infront of him.

Yes but we must always haf "Talab" (ask) for it that he makes us do it.

someone told me that sometimes it's our sins that stop us 4m getting up in Tahajud.

May Allah 4give us & always keep us on the rite track.

Use your alarm clock..

Have you got family members who do Tahajjud? Then ask them to wake you up as well, I usually have my mother.. ;-)