Advice on my doctor appointment and bringing baby?

I have an appointment with the OBGYN on Friday to get back on the pill. We all know what those appointment entail so I won't get into the specifics. Up until now it has been fairly easy to bring my son to appointments, he was in his carrier, sleeping or just amazed by everything around him. Now, he's 10 mos.old walking around and very active. My parents are not an option they live too far away, my in-laws have been keeping my son almost every Friday for a couple of months so I can work an extra day or go to appointments and are going to keep him again next weekend so I really don't want to ask them. Dad will be working and daycare wants $25.00 for him to stay there for a few hours. Is is appropriate to bring him to the appointment? Should I reschedule? It has taken me 2 months to get this appointment and my partner and I have abstained for months and plan on abstaining until the pills kick in to insure we do not get pregnant again. He'll kill me if we have to wait another month or more

Favorite Answer

bring him! ob/gyn offices ESPECIALLY are very baby friendly. and if yours isn't, they shoudl be. i'm sure they are. and i know the conundrum about waiting for the appt. and not wanting to use any of your other resources. it is totally okay for you to bring him. do your best to bring things that may occupy him, but don't worry about it. if he's a little wild, it will still be fine. i have brought ruby to dr.s appointments many times, and while she isn't the marathoner than bradley is, she is quite a little monkey and HAS to be on me all time. it has always worked out. ( i have even had my eyebrows waxed with her sitting on my chest. true story.) and, even though you didn's ask, i got the mirena iud after ruby was born and it has been great.

I don't know if it's "appropriate" or not, but it's not a huge deal. People who work in the field, especially at the OB's office know women have kids (obviously, or they'd be out of a job!) I'm pregnant with my fourth baby and often have to take my first three with me to appointments. They are 5 years old, almost 3 years old, and 13 months. It's either that, or don't go, so I take them. However, if I know I'm having an internal exam, indepth u/s, etc. I will do everything within my power to arrange babysitting or reschedule.

I'd say if your son is 10 months, you probably won't even need an exam if you had a post partum check up. You'll probably show up, talk to the dr. and they'll prescribe you the birth control, so don't stress too much. If your appointment was hard to get, keep it and take your son.

With my kids, it helps to take snacks and a favorite activity. My kids usually go in with me and sit in the chair with their snack while I speak to my midwife or get examed if necessary, and they're usually well behaved. If your baby is 10 months, he may be fine in his stroller, just while you're in the actual exam room. Give him his favorite snacks he may not normally have (I don't know how much your 10 month old son eats) but I'm always successful with cut up strawberries, grapes, goldfish, etc. If your son is walking, let him walk in the waiting room so he can get his "wiggles" out, and will likely be more patient in the exam room.

It may not be ideal, but doing things with kids in tow and making it work is part of being a parent! Just wait a few more months and you need to go to the DMV, get important shopping done, etc, and your toddler has a melt-down! Don't stress too much, be prepared to entertain him, have appropriate expectations, and a sense of humor. You'll be fine!

Source(s): mama of three, pregnant with four!

Bring him with you. Most Dr's are very understanding. . . I happen to be a stay home mom, and if my husband is at work, I have to take our son with us. Family is not an option here as they are 4-5 hours away. I used to put my son in an umbrella stroller, give him a bottle, a few toys and let him entertain himself. . If possible, when in with your dr; position him in a place where he can see your face, but not anything else (you know what i mean). I used to place my son to the right of the exam table. . . he couldnt see what the dr was doing but yet I could look to the side and see/talk to him.

this is how you teach kids to behave in cretin places. Bring him. I am sure the doctor will understand and is used to having moms bring there kids. I brought my daughter to an appointment when she was 3. The doctor gave her a little toy to play with that she had in the office and she was fine. If you are scared of him getting into everything bring a stroller and a snack that he loves and put him in there while the doctor is looking at you. I have brought my daughter to many of these apt. and more she went the better she did. I am sure he will do fine.

Source(s): mom of 2

Wow, I can't believe that he is walking already! I have answered your questions on here since our babies were newborns... wow! Time flies...

I am a single mom and I take my kids everywhere, If the doctor looks up your privates, I would still take him. But when that time comes, just before you lay down, put him in the stroller with toys and slip the hallway. It will only be 30 seconds or so and than wheel him back in and he can be with you for all but that short part of the appointment.

Good luck:):)

You are going to feel so much better if you just tell the doctor. You might want to bring it up to the nurse first. Tell her that you are really feeling depressed and you are not sure how to talk to the doctor about it. You are not alone and it is really important to get some help. If you are having medical issues then it is understandable that you would have depression issues - they go hand in hand. Good Luck and many blessings.

Take him with you, don't reschedule, it is so hard to get another appt.

I know at my OBGYN's practice, if the baby is needy, crying, etc when the doctor comes in for the exam, he will ask his nurse to watch the baby (as long as Mom is ok with it). She loves the little ones and is more than happy to take them on a tour of the office. Your doctor is probably very versed in experiences like this, so don't worry.

I always took my oldest baby to my appointments. (I was already preggers with #2.) Usually the nurses fought over her, but on the only occasion when they were all busy I just sat her on my chest/stomach during the pelvic exam. And of COURSE they would all have to be busy during THAT appointment. :-)

The stroller idea sounds good too.

bring an umbrella stroller and strap him in, wheel him in the exam room with you and give him a toy to play with while the dr does the exam. You will be on the table for what, 5 minutes. He will be fine sitting that long!

I took 2 toddler's to my appointments at times. Most doctor's are used to it and understand. I just took toys that they really liked and did not give them to the kid's until the critical time and it kept them occupied until the doctor was done.