Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Why wont vegans drink milk?

I understand that they wont eat eggs because they may feel like they are killing a potetial baby chick but if a cow on a farm is humanly treated and the calf allowed to nurse why couldn't you milk the cow and drink it? How does that harm the cow or the environment? I'm not talking about big dairy farms where they take away the calves and hook the cows up to machines. I just don't understand why drinking milk isn't concidered a proper thing to do. What do vegans feed their children to keep them healthy and their bones strong? Without taking calcium suppliments which often come from animals how do you get calcium in your diet?

Update:

That doesn't make sense to me, simply because it comes from a cow. Fertilizer (poop) comes from a cow also, so if you garden will you not use their poop as fertilizer?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Consuming the breast milk of another species is unnatural, unnecessary and repulsive. (Would you suck an udder?)

The U.S. has consumed more calcium in more forms in the last forty years than any other culture on earth, and yet it has the highest rate of osteoporosis. Why? Simple. Excess protein inhibits calcium absorption. This has been proven and published in medical journals time and time again. Eat less protein, and the calcium found in leafy greens, nuts and lentils is more than enough to satisfy dietary needs.

Dairy cows are injected with hormones and antibiotics, and their food is laced with pesticides. (This is to decrease the amount of insects attracted to their feces, a major problem in industrial dairies.) Residue from the hormones, antibiotics and pesticides are found in milk. These have been linked to cancer and compromised immune systems.

You say you're not talking about big dairy farms where cows are milked by machines. The obvious follow up question is: Where the heck do you get your milk? All milk from grocery stores is from corporate operations, and all of them, even Horizon Organic, milk by machine and take calves away at birth. (The boy cows, by the way, then have the genuine thrill of becoming VEAL! Yippee!)

• elsie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Can Vegans Drink Milk

• 1 decade ago

Veganism is a philosophy that seeks to eliminate animal exploitation. We actually do not avoid eggs because of their potential for life as a chicken; the eggs you buy in the grocery stores are not fertilized and would never have grown into live birds.

Instead, we avoid eggs and dairy because of the disgusting, inhumane, abusive and exploitative conditions under which they are produced. It IS about the big dairy operations where they artificially inseminate, sell calves to veal, pump cattle full of chemicals and use them up after a fraction of their life spans. Just like it's about battery cages, debeaking, force moulting and wholesale slaughter of useless male chicks.

Maybe not every operation involves all of those things, but the vast majority of the eggs and dairy on the market do. And even smaller, "happy" food type operations sell their animals to slaughter when they stop producing. It's a business. The animals are a commodity. None of them want to feed, water and medicate animals that don't produce.

Besides the inhumane treatment, most of us recognize that these foods simply aren't necessary. We're the only species of mammals that drinks milk beyond infancy and the only species of mammals that drinks the milk of another species. It's nonsensical to argue that another species' milk is somehow a necessary part of our diet. Same thing with eggs; we just don't have any dietary need to consume a bird's reproductive waste. Lastly, for some of us, health is a concern. If you're interested in the link between animal foods and disease, check out The China Study by T. Colin Campbell.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awdqQ

In order for a cow to produce milk in needs to have given birth to a calf. The calf is removed from the mother at a young age and the milk is taken for market. The calf is deprived of milk and kept closed in a pen too small to turn around or lay down. This is done to produce a more tender veal. The whole arguement about how it hurts the cows if they are not milked is not true. If the calf was able to get proper nutrients from it's mother there would be no need to milk cows. It's all about money and not concern for the animals. Aside from the cruelty involved milk is designed to fatten up baby calves and contains a much higher fat content than human milk which means it fattens humans up faster than human milk. In other words it is unnatural for any animal to feed of the milk of another animal much less after they have begun eating solid foods.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mammal produce milk to feed their young. It's a strange notion for an adult human to consume milk from a cow. Milk also contains a lot of pus and other yuckiness. A cow has to have a baby to produce milk, calves are taken from their mothers so humans can take her milk. The dairy industry perpetuates the veal industry. There are a lot of reasons not to drink milk, and most milk alternatives are enriched with as much, if not more, calcium and vitamin D found in milk. I'm not saying it's the right choice for everyone, but there are good reason.

• 1 decade ago

Because it's a product of an animal, plan and simple.

There are other reasons that I can't drink milk but many more as to why I wouldn't want to anyway. They inject the cows with hormones to have them produce more milk and then attach them to machines. They are on those machines so often being milked that they develop sores on their utters. Those sores have puss in them that goes into the milk and the USDA allows a certain percentage of puss to pass through for human consumption. This is why milk goes bad so quickly. So, not only are you drinking the hormones that they put into the cows, but you are drinking infection. Yummy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Milk comes from a cow, a cow that was artificially inseminated so that she will start to produce milk. When she gives birth, the calf is taken away. If the calf is female, she will follow in the footsteps of her mother, if male, it will be fed an anemic liquid diet and kept in a crate so small that he will not be able to stand for the duration of his 3-4 month life.

Half of dairy cows in the United States have mastitis, which is an inflammation of the udder that is caused by bacterial infection. This means that hundreds of millions of somatic cells (pus) get into every single glass of milk.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the annual production of milk from one cow was 3,300 kg. Just one hundred years later that number has jumped to 8,500 kg/year. This is caused by injecting the cow with growth hormones to produce more. You can imagine the stress on the cow and her udders.

Humans are the only species on Earth that drink milk past infancy and we are the only species who drink milk from another species. Weird when you think about it, eh?

We get calcium from the plant-foods that we eat. Dark greens, beans and legumes, fruits, and whole grains, as well as fortified grain or soy drinks.

Some cultures consume few or no dairy products and typically ingest fewer than 500 milligrams of calcium per day. However, these people generally have low rates of osteoporosis. Many scientists believe that exercise and other factors have more to do with osteoporosis than calcium intake does.

EDIT** TO CF UP NEAR THE TOP, DAIRY COWS ARE SLAUGHTERED ANYWAY AFTER THEY ARE "SPENT".

• 1) I'm not a baby calf, so why would I drink cows' milk?

2) The aforementioned treatment of dairy cows in the vast majority of farms. No matter how kindly the animals are treated, they are still killed in the end.

As for eggs, the reason vegans don't eat eggs is because of the way the hens are treated. The eggs they lay are not fertilized so none of them can possibly become a chicken.

• 1 decade ago

Sweetie, expand your views. Think outside the box!

Even humanely treated cows have a shortened lifespan. Their bodies are forced to repeatedly be bred just to give us milk.

A cow, left to its own life can live 20 to 25 years. A factory farmed cow gets about 2 years. 5 if she's a really good producer. An organically raised, home farm cow can get as much as 10 years. But the average is 8.

8 years of forced pregnancies and having your baby taken away from you. Since there is no "retirement home" for cows, when she can no longer produce - she is shuttled off to the butcher and inhumanely slaughtered. She ends up a can of Alpo.

Ain't life grand?

Her male offspring will be taken away from her to be butchered. Her female offspring is consigned to the same sad life as her.

Mind you, milk is very bad for us in the first place. Our bodies lose the ability to digest milk by the time we are 8 years old. Dairy gives us all kinds of problems. Heart disease, stroke, cancer.

The average American eats 100 pounds of meat a year. But 600 pounds of dairy a year.

Milk is not a good source of calcium. Of the 350 milligrams of calcium in raw milk, only 35 milligrams are bioavailable after processing. You get more calcium than that from a dozen almonds.

This idea of raw milk as a good source of calcium has given a lot of folks over to "leasing" cows on home farms to get their own raw milk. However, studies have shown that ANY animal protein that is consumed forces our bones to excrete calcium in order to digest it.

Greens and grains are a much better source of bioavailable calcium that has NO negative impact on our bodies, or the environment.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not entirely sure but I know it has to do with the conditions.

Basically they don't think it's right or fair to impregnate cows take the calf away from the mother, and the put the cow in a barn and milk the cow - then repeat process. It is unnatural but so are alot of things that we take for granted

I guess in a way they are right it's probably not the most pleasant things for the cow. However I love milk so I'm not about to stop drinking it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.