Are gambling boats a good place to play low stakes blackjack (and perfect ure card counting)?

Im spending alot of time learning and i just turned 20, so i cant go to vegas yet. they have gambling boats where i live, so should i practice some card counting there?

Favorite Answer

the best place to practice is home on the computer. I use the Hoyle game. Has options for how many decks are used.

The boats are ok. Just have to make sure what they are playing with. I have run across places where the Q's have been takin out. If they dont have it posted, just be sure and ask

Yes. I would think that security on gambling boats would be very minimal so that would be a perfect place to count.

I would practice at home to get down the basics, but I'd try it out on the boats for some real life situations. Counting in your quiet house is a lot different than the noisy, smoky, flashy and distracting real casinos.

Good luck!

Everyone who's read a book on card counting is ready to jump to the casinos and get rich. It's not going to work that way, even counting cards perfectly, you as a player have only a very slight advantage against the house.

With that being said....card counting is an advanced blackjack strategy. Before you can really understand the advanced systems, you have to perfect Basic Strategy.

Source(s): Lived in Vegas

They don't have low stakes on riverboats unless you think $10 a hand is low stakes. I haven't been to one is awhile either, but every time I ever went it was way busy, and the best conditions for a card counter is the fewest number of players possible (1 on 1 with the dealer is ideal).

If you're on a tight budget, just buy 6 decks, shuffle them together, and practice by yourself.

a boat will shut you down faster than a large casino where you can at least be somewhat (lost in the crowd). More watchers on a boat. If it's more convenient for you then by all means....go practice. Make sure you take care of the dealer if they treat you right ; )

Yes a boat is a great place to do it that way they can throw you overboard when they catch you.