Can someone recommend any books similar to the Iliad & The Odyssey?

I have a friend who enjoys reading about Greek history, in particular books similar to the Iliad & Odyssey. Can someone please recommend any similar books of Greek Literature? I have heard of Hesiod's Works & Days and Theogony. Are these any good?

Favorite Answer

The Theogony is very good - it's the history of the gods, so... yea.

I'm more of a Latin scholar than Greek, so I don't have many other suggestions - but The Aeneid should be read by any lover of the Iliad and the Odyssey (it's the Roman equivalent and tells some of the same stories).

• deise

After finding over different solutions i decide directly to advise no longer analyzing Robert Jordan (books too long and with little or no happening) or C.S.Lewis (uninteresting). guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry is a powerfully shifting one at circumstances, great. the three volumes are The summer Tree, The Wandering hearth and The Darkest street. each and every of the Eddings books: The Belgariad (5 volumes), The Malloreon (5 volumes), Belgarath the Sorceror, Polgara the Sorceress, The Elenium (3 volumes), The Tamuli (3 volumes), The Redemption of Althalus. different cautioned authors, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, Raymond Feist, Terry Pratchett.

The Aeneid by Virgil

Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, & The Eumenides by Aeschylus

Gilgamesh by David Ferry

The Last Days of Socrates by Plato

Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus & Anigone by Sophocles

Plutarch's Lives edited by Arthur Hugh Clough

Plato's Republic

The Histories by Herodotus

• deb

The Aeneid by Virgil

The Three Theban Plays by Sophocles

The Oresteia: Agamemnon;The Libation Bear by Aeschylus

Ion by Euripides

Protagoras and Meno by Plato

If he/she does not already have them, I suggest the 'essential companion' for anyone interested in Greek history, namely the two-volume 'The Greek Myths' by Robert Graves. A classic work which has been in print since first published in 1955.

You might enjoy the Mabinogian. Pre-Christian Welsh folklore. I enjoyed the adaptation of the stories by Evangeline Walton.

Many countries have fascinating myths and legends and many of them are of epic proportions. There are often common themes and plots and it is interesting to wonder if they appeared spontaneously in different locations or were brought by enterprising travelling entertainers and adapted to local cultures.