Anonymous

Why do some blacks in the south think that the confederate flag represents racism and or hatred?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

because it does. confederates believed in slavery, white supremacy and their superiority over blacks. what's worse perhaps is that it represents the disunity of the United States.

anyone who waves this flag is therefore saying that they support the idea of slavery, they support the idea that white is better, and finally that they support the idea of the US not existing...

yea its awful...that's why blacks feels this way...but not just blacks, anyone with sense knows not to wave that flag.

toodles!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The confederate flag was flown by the... CONFEDERATES during the civil war. Now they wanted slavery.... how old are you and why don't you know this?

To "The King..."

Because that is what they have been told their whole lives. State's rights were greatly diminished during the Civil War in order to free the slaves. Many young soldiers on both sides of the conflict paid with their lives during the War of Northern Agression. What I wonder is, would there have been another way to resolve the issue in the 1800's without so much bloodshed?

As a sidenote, more blacks were actually enslaved under the American flag while slavery was legal than were enslaved during the five years of the Confederacy.

WTF is the War of Northern Aggression???? The south broke off.. the north didn't invade... Also the reason why more blacks were enslaved when it was legal... because the counts included the whole country.. when the south broke away a lot of the slaves ran away to the north so they weren't counted in the south.

Good job on shitty statistics.

• 1 decade ago

Duh. Whites in the North think that, too. It's because the Confederate flag represents everything the South stood for during the Civil War--monetary gain at the expense of the oppression of another race. (i.e. the plantation owners)

Once the Civil War was over, and the Confederate States had lost their bid to become a seperate nation, all states became one again, the UNITED States of America. Slavery eventually was outlawed, and the nation was able to pursue enacting the tenets of liberty as set forth in the Constitution--that ALL men are created equal.

While some southerners today may feel that displaying the Confederate flag is a sign of pride and honoring their forefathers, there are those that see it as a backwoods, ignorant gesture--one that (to this day, so many years after it was abolished) proclaims the glory days of slavery. It is a reminder of an unfortunate time in this country's history.

I hope that answers your question.

• Because that is what they have been told their whole lives. State's rights were greatly diminished during the Civil War in order to free the slaves. Many young soldiers on both sides of the conflict paid with their lives during the War of Northern Agression. What I wonder is, would there have been another way to resolve the issue in the 1800's without so much bloodshed?

As a sidenote, more blacks were actually enslaved under the American flag while slavery was legal than were enslaved during the five years of the Confederacy.

Big Red, The War of Northern Agression is the way I have heard it described in the past. I still believe that negotiations would have prevented such bloodshed. If we had today's big government back then, Uncle Sam might have actually bought the slaves from the plantation owners at taxpayer expense- kind of like the bailouts they've been doing in recent years!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if it doesnt represent racism and hatred ,then what does it represent? i have always been told that the confedrate flag represent racism and i have proof of it my mom is black and indian and so is my dad and right when we moved into our house ,down the street from us is these old white ppl and we notice they had a confederate flag but it was a small one they had hanging up in there front yard, and then about a week later we notice they put an even bigger one up and every time i past there house they just look and stare

• 1 decade ago

I think it is because it represents the Rebel South who were For slavery and because it was and (I think still is) used by the KKK.

I saw DL Hughely(is that how you spell it) on "Real Time With Bill Maher" and he said that, that is what that flag represents

And my b/f is a truck driver, he was driving with this black guy who would wear a hat with the rebel flag on it, he did this to cause a stir wherever he went. Like just to make people say to themselves "hey why is a black guy sportin' the Rebel Flag?" ---- SO there must be some truth to the assumption that it represents negative feelings toward blacks.

• 1 decade ago

Because some racist whites have used it as a flag to unite under in their hatred of blacks.

Though the flag in and of itself represents much more and has a lot of history the only history remembered is slavery and racism.

• 1 decade ago

because the confederate flag was the flag of the people who wanted to separate from America so they could have slaves... Shouldn't you have learned this in school yet???

• DB
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It is the flag of the confederacy who seceded partly(a large part) due to slavery. Racists have used the flag as symbol of their ideas when intimidating blacks.

• 1 decade ago

It means that you're proud of the south.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.