Do you ever spy on your (ex) spouse through your kids?

It was back to normal in the little household inhabited by my kids and me tonight, as we had dinner, did homework, then watched a VHS tape of "The Wonder Years" episodes on a color TV/VCR I'd picked up at a thrift store (the days of 60" HDTVs seem long gone now). Something my daughter... show more It was back to normal in the little household inhabited by my kids and me tonight, as we had dinner, did homework, then watched a VHS tape of "The Wonder Years" episodes on a color TV/VCR I'd picked up at a thrift store (the days of 60" HDTVs seem long gone now).

Something my daughter mentioned casually tonight raised some conflicting emotions in me; I don't know whether to feel touched or just sad, but she said that while she and my son were with my wife this past weekend, my name (well, "Dad") had come up, and my wife seemed to get teary eyed and turn away, saying that this was supposed to be a "fun" weekend, and that she didn't want to "talk about that." Then I also heard that my wife cried herself to sleep one night.

I feel bad that my kids already seem to be spying on my soon-to-be-ex and affected by this. I told them this, and that their mother's emotions should be kept private. Part of me too feels bad for my wife, though it's her fault. Are your kids double-agent spies?