why does my cat pee on my things?

I have 3 male cats. All are fixed. They are all under 4 years old with the youngest being just over a year old. All are indoor only cats. I have 4 litter boxes throughout the house that are kept clean. Last night my daughter noticed one of the cats peed on her blanket. This is the secound time in one week. The vet has ruled out any medical reasons today after taking all 3 to his office, costly ! Now what do I do. He thinks that they are being displaying anger at her, and she loves them.

Best Answer

One of my tuxedos started doing this at the age of 6. Turned out it was diabetes. Take him to the vet for a complete checkup including a blood test.

Sorry but I had to add to this after readings Pam's answer.

Cats sometimes engage in a behavior called urine spraying or urine marking. The cat stands, backs up to an object, holds his tail up erect and quivering, and releases urine out backwards onto the object. The urine sprayed differs chemically from the urine cats normally release from a squatting position because it also contains oily secretions from the anal glands. Sprayed urine is extremely pungent. Some people describe it as smelling like ammonia; others say it has a heavy musky odor. Cats occasionally spray from a squatting position.

Why do cats spray urine? They spray during territorial disputes, during aggressive conflicts, and during sexual encounters. The majority of cats who spray just do their spraying outside. They advertise their presence in a territory by spraying visually conspicuous sites. Cats “time share” territories, so the marks enable the cats to space themselves out so that they don’t often meet. Some cats spray urine inside their homes. Often indoor spraying results from conflicts between cats in the home or from the resident cat feeling threatened by outside cats.

Most often, cats who spray are reproductively intact males (toms) but females do sometimes spray. Neutering is the most effective way to curb spraying in a tomcat. In one study, 77 percent of cats stopped or significantly reduced spraying within six months of being neutered. Neutered cats can spray as well. Ten percent of male cats neutered before 10 months of age will still spray as adults. In households with numerous cats, at least one cat will likely spray, even if all the cats are neutered.

WHAT TO DO:

- Neuter or spay the spraying cat.

- Identify the reasons why your cat may be spraying. For instance, if your cat is reacting to the sight of cats outside, block your cat’s view. If your cat is reacting to the scent of cats outside, possibly through a screen door or from odors on your shoes, prevent your cat from coming into contact with these scents. Keep the door closed and remove shoes outside, before entering the home.

- Discourage cats from hanging around outside your house. Motion-activated devices, such as the Critter Gitter™, the Scarecrow™, or the Scraminal™, all function to frighten outdoor cats away. The Scat Mat™ and the Sofa Saver™ can be used to keep outdoor cats away from doors and windows.

- If your cat is spraying in one or a few locations, you can make these areas less appealing, using some type of booby trap, such as Ssscat™. Ssscat™ is a motion-activated device that sprays the cat with a harmless but unpleasant aerosol. Alternatively, you can put out an “unwelcome mat” for the cat by placing foil, plastic wrap, or upside-down vinyl carpet runner where your cat sprays. Be aware that cats often just choose a new spot to spray.

- You can also try eliciting a different behavior in the sprayed locations. Place items that stimulate behaviors incompatible with spraying, such as the food dish or toys, in the spots.

- You can try placing a litter box in each location. If the cat is spraying on the wall beside the litter box, try attaching a liner on the wall and drape it down into the box. Should the cat spray there, the urine at least will drip down into the box.

- Spray Feliway™ in the areas where your cat is spraying. Feliway™ is a synthetic pheromone designed to elicit calm, friendly behavior in cats. Research supports the claim that Feliway™ reduces indoor urine spraying.

- If the spraying is due to conflict among resident cats, you should seek counsel on resolving the conflict. You may need to separate the cats or at least isolate the spraying cat until you are able to restore harmony. If this is not possible, re-homing to reduce your numbers may be the only viable solution. A spraying cat might not spray at all in a new home with fewer cats.

- Drug therapy can help resolve a spraying problem. There are numerous medications that have been demonstrated to be effective in individual cases—e.g., the Benzodiazepines (i.e. Valium), other anti-anxiety drugs (i.e. Clomipramine or BuSpar), or progestins.

- Make sure you clean sprayed areas with an enzymatic cleanser designed to eliminate odors.

- If you can do so safely, allowing the cat to spend time outside sometimes results in the cat spraying outside the home rather than inside. Building a large wire enclosure for the cat outside may be sufficient to stimulate him to spray outdoors.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

- Do not punish the cat by hitting, spanking, or slapping for spraying. Similarly, do not take the cat to the area and admonish him. This might well teach the cat to be afraid of you. The cat may actually spray more if he is stressed by the punishment.

1

Source(s): Stop Cat Spraying http://emuy.info/StopCatSpraying

well ive been around cats all my life..They are the best pet ever... one of my cats has the same problem, she pees on like everything.... Cats are very territorial, just like dogs are, this is why dogs pee a little bit on trees, fire hydrients, etc... Cause they are marking their territory. Cats on the other hand also like to mark their territory, it really doesnt matter what it is, if he or she feels that its his or her territory or spot, they will piss on it. And since you have 3 cats, the cat that is peeing on things is letting the other cats know that its his or her spot. The link i provided is a spray that will help with the cat peeing on things. They also have the same thing for dogs...

I hope this helped!!!

are u using bleach to clean things because cats wee smells like bleach so whenever i use bleach in my house the cats pee alll over the area to claim there territory. i suggest that if they are peeing on your clothes or things like that that maybe you should try a different washing powder or household cleaner.

you can try a product called feliway it releases phemones that can calm cats down if it feel anxiety this may help out a lot. One other thing you can try is another litter pan or even just switch one you have now to a different type of litter if he doesn't like what you are using he will not go to the box. Also make sure the litter pan is big enough that he has plenty of room to turn around if he feels crammed in it may deter him form going. PS good for you for taking the initiative to go tho the vet and get them checked out.

Source(s): www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm

It's natural. Cats, (especially male ones!) tend to mark their territory INSIDE as well as outside. When I got my cat, she started peeing on the carpet to say...."My territory! My land! STEP OUT OF IT!!!!" We always had to clean it up. But eventually, once they pee on 40% on their items, they will stop and say," There. Everything is mine mine mine!!!" Okay? So just be patient with them and PLEASE DON'T YELL......it makes them really scared and nervous, so they start peeing on the spot.

my cat just pee on my roommate book and he down it my bed too befor.he black

Each cat is probably marking his territory. Having them neutered will not stop them from spraying to mark their space.

umm maybe your cat is marking its territory

You did not toliet train your cat?