Does running ACTUALLY burn fat or build muscle?

Okay, so I really wanna lose another 5 pounds, for modeling, and I feels like everytime I go running, I add on a few pounds. Now I know that everyone is going to say "Because it builds muscle", but I want to really know if It does burn any fat, or just add muscle? Because I don't want to be wasting... show more Okay, so I really wanna lose another 5 pounds, for modeling, and I feels like everytime I go running, I add on a few pounds. Now I know that everyone is going to say "Because it builds muscle", but I want to really know if It does burn any fat, or just add muscle? Because I don't want to be wasting anymore of my time thinking that I am burning calories, and maybe losing a pound or two (If I go a few times a week), and I am just adding on weight because of muscle?
After school, and this morning i weighed 115 pounds, and now i weigh almost 118 after a 3 km run?!
I don't know whats going on, can anyone help me? thank you!
Update: I eat healthy-I eat cereal in the morning with an Orange,
For lunch I eat a bagel with an apple,
and for dinner it usually varies from chicken to fish, to pasta.