does eating spicy food hurt your baby while pregnant?

I eat spicy food morning noon and night.....I'm 25 weeks pregnant...

Also when I say I eat spicy food I mean it..(I have always ate spicy food..this isn't just a pregnancy craving).Most people probably couldn't handle how hot I eat it....My baby is healthy but is it really ok to ea spicy food this much....??

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Nope its 100% safe, if your mouth can handle it its no prob, its broekn down so much the baby doesnt get the spicyness just the vitamins an nutrients. They only say not to eat it because it may be uncomfortable for you, but that is clearly not an issue... Im a wuss when it comes to spicy foods, i looooovve the flavor but my tongue cant handle it, maybe if my mom woulda ate more of it i would be able to eat it too!

• 3 years ago

Spicy Food While Pregnant

• 3 years ago

Spicy Food Pregnancy

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

does eating spicy food hurt your baby while pregnant?

I eat spicy food morning noon and night.....I'm 25 weeks pregnant...

Also when I say I eat spicy food I mean it..(I have always ate spicy food..this isn't just a pregnancy craving).Most people probably couldn't handle how hot I eat it....My baby is healthy but is it really ok to ea...

Source(s): eating spicy food hurt baby pregnant: https://biturl.im/DCKOO
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jard
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

eating spicy food hurt baby pregnant

• 1 decade ago

The spicy food would bother you way more than baby. You go girl....I need a tums just thinking about spicy food!

• 1 decade ago

As far as I know, the answer is no. Although nutrients are passed from the mother to the baby via blood circulation from mother to placenta, it is doubtful that these flavors would result in harm to the fetus as they are properly digested, although, there are some articles where Garlic, Curry and Cumin caused the amniotic fluid to smell of these flavors when ingested by the mother prior to delivery. In the case this happens, tell your doctor that you ingested these spices so they do not think amnionitis is a cause. Amnionitis is inflammation resulting from infection of the amniotic sac and may be viewed as caused by an infection of your baby. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Peculiar odours in newborns and maternal prenatal ingestion of spicy food, European Journal of Pediatrics, Hauser et al., 1985. Garlic Ingestion by Pregnant Women Alters the Odor of Amniotic Fluid, Chemical Senses, Menella et al., 2002.
  • Ca
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think it is totally fine. I think the "taboo' with pregnancy and spicy food relates directly to heart burn... I never could eat spicy food because of how horrible my heart burn was. If it doesn't bother you GO FOR IT!

• 1 decade ago

I am the same way you are and ate spicy foods my entire pregnancy. it won't hurt your baby but could give you some wicked heartburn. Just remember that Zantac is GREAT and safe during pregnancy!

Source(s): 4 weeks postpartum
  • 1 decade ago

If your body can deal with it, then I'm sure it's fine and it won't hurt the baby if there are no toxins in the actual food itself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.