Why has Islam produced more fanatics than other religions?

Let me get this out of the way first - I don't have anything wrong with Islam, I'm not in any way trying to criticize it or it's followers, I'm just asking a question.

So my question is, Why has Islam produced more fanatics than other religions? You don't really hear of Christian suicide bombers, or Buddhist suicide bombers, but you do hear of Islamic suicide bombers. Islamic leaders have also called for "jihad" (holy war) against places like America and Israel, and other Western countries. September 11th happened, the bombings of the London underground... I'm just wondering, what is it about Islam that inspires people to do these things?

Thanks for any insight!

Shalom, Salaam

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

doodle,

I don't think that Islam produces more fanatics than any other religion. I live in Israel with Islamic people, and the vast majority are very nice and good people.

It seems that way because of media. In the past there have been far larger massacres from the Catholic Church, but they were not publicized with news coverage and headlines.

Nazis massacred more human beings in a period of 7 years than any other regime in history.

The Roman Empire massacred people throughout Europe, North Africa and The Middle East their entire existence.

The Ottoman Empire massacred 3,000,000 Armenians, which for some reason, unbeknown to me, is rarely publicized.

There have been massacres by Buddhists, which are never spoken of, when Buddhism was first established. Today Buddhism is revered as a religion of peace and tranquility and ironically, the basis for the theory of cause and effect.

Islam is still a young religion in comparison to the others (about 1200 years). In the future, there will be peace after all extremest have calmed down knowing that they are recognized as a solid entity.

Buddhism (about 4000 years)

Christianity (1998 years)

Hinduism (about 6000 years)

Judaism (about 5700)

Sincerely,

Ms. Miche ; })

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

WACO, t.mcveigh, westboro baptist, gwbush, the list is growing of demented fundamentalist christians.

oh and lets not forget ETA and the IRA... there's a couple of hard core christian terrorist organisations for you, but they seem to have slipped under the radar when the western media (run by americans) have an agenda in perpetuating hatred of islam.

$hit, there are more christian cults in the usa committing terrorists acts against other christians than islam is.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Islam is for sure against war, but when war imposes itself upon you and there is no way out of it, you will have to eliminate evil and tyrannical forces. This is actually what Jesus did although he said:

"39 Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. 43 Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you,and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5: 39-44)

Despite this peace that Jesus used to teach his followers, when he felt that the Jews and evil forces had turned against him he said: "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

This was his action even though his life as a prophet was three years only. So how would it be if it lasted longer than that?

He would have been engaged in violent wars to eliminate evil forces in this world just as the prophets of Israel did before him. The natural disposition of human beings hates bloodshed, but upright people from the days of Adam until today are few. Good and evil were present inside the first humans the earth has known; Didn't Abel kill his brother for the sake of a woman? And when was that? It was when the number of human beings was no more than the number of one family.

http://www.rasoulallah.net/subject_en.asp?hit=1&pa...

• 1 decade ago

As you can see by this report , there are fanatics in every religion. All religions are about peace, sadly its some people who don't follow their religion that make all stand out and look bad. The most that any of us can do is try not to judge a religion or a people as a whole. But to be more tolerant and open minded. Peace!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

What produces fanatics - in my opinion - is poverty, repression and unjustice. Note that suicide bombers are mainly found in Palestine, where 5 million people, 45% of the total population, live in the land where they were born up to the 10th generation without any political rights, no parlimentary representation, and - worse - less priviledges than an immigrant born in Russia or Ethiopia just because he is Jewish, all this because Hitler killer Jews in WWII. Who heard about a country devoted and established to harbor a certain religion? and if so, why wouldn't it be Germany, not Palestine? In islamic countries where there is economic and political stability, you will not hear about this. Suicide bombing is usually political rather than religion. Islam - as a religion - donesn't allow killing and war is only justified against enemies threatening the nation - or country - by order of the ruler, i.e., it is mainly political. Individual violent actions are not allowed. I think Islam is linked to terror nowadays, i.e. individualistic aggression, because islamic countries are not practicing mass aggression, like USA is doing in Iraq and what Israel is doing to Palestenians.

For jihad, Catholic church also justified holy war - Crusades - for > 100 years.

• John B
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Islam has not produced more fanatics than other religions. Christianity is the largest religion by number of adherents. All religious faithful are fanatical by definition. So the fact is, christianity has produced more fanatics than islam. Simple really.

• 1 decade ago

Who said its Islam that CREATED fanatics..???

Before we jump to the end, we need to understand WHAT DOES ISLAM REALLY TEACH...then we can decide if it is Islam that created or its political things...

All those "terrorist" things you see is only from the media...if you go and see the world for yourself you will realize the story is totally different...

Islam only tells people to defend their religion, dignity, and their people...

But Also Islam calls its followers to not hurt anyone who is not going to hurt them and deal other with peaceful manner..

I hope that helps...if you want more info please contact with me...

peace

• 1 decade ago

hello , I just want to tell you it is wrong to render on Islam from

Muslims behavior because many people do unacceptable thing by the name of Islam if you want really to know Islam you can read about it and then decide if Islam is fanatic religion or not and in my opinion all celestial religion are peaceful religion but some people relate there fanatics and enmity to religion you can visit this website http://www.nabulsi.com/index_ar.php

• Eric H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you haven't heard of religious terrorists from other religions, you haven't been paying attention-

Christianity

Torquemada

The Crusades

George W Bush

Timothy McVeigh

Branch Davidian

Jonestown

The Jesuits ( ask any aboriginal about genocide)

Judaism

Palestine

The Malachites

Terrorism in London and America prior to the founding of the State of Israel

Masada

Hinduism, Buddhism

Pay any attention to India and Pakistan lately? They're killing each other left and right over there.

Extremism and fanaticism knows no country, no class and is faithful to no religion.

By the way, Al Qaida is not a religious organization - bin Laden has no religious credentials and the bulk of Muslims abhor his actions, which violate several strict strictures in Islam;

1. The requirement not to kill civilians ( "He who kills an innocent kills the world")

2. The requirement for a religious leader of sufficient stature to approve of jihad against an external enemy ( The ONLY circumstance where jihad means 'holy war'). No such approval has been given.

3. The requirement that Muslims honour the "Children of the Book", namelt Christians and Jews, whom Mohammed declared to be the "brothers" of Islam.

These radicals claim to represent Islam, but they don't walk the talk. Over 200 fatwahs have been issued against bin Laden and Al Qaida for their illegal actions.

• 1 decade ago

Let's see. the Hebrews conquered what is now Palestine after leaving Egypt. The crusaders killed Innocent women and children in the Holy Land. And let us not forget the Spanish Inquisition, that must have been fun?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.