does gum make u lose calories?

i dunno, it's something my friend said to me

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jen
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In the first ever study of the energy cost of chewing gum, researchers found chewing gum will burn an additional 11 Cal/hr compared to not chewing gum.

They noted that if the individual chewed a non-caloric gum during normal waking hours and if the individual's energy balance did not change, that individual could lose about 11 lbs of body fat in a year.

Surprisingly, yes =]

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends on the type of gum.

Sugar free gums will usually burn off for the average gum chewing time. Its only about 3-5 calories.

It takes an hour of chewing to burn 11 calories.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well chewing gum when your hungry tricks your brain into thinking that you are eating something, so you end up not being as hungry. So I guess in that way it makes you lose calories. But a regualr stick of gum actually has 5 calories just by itself.

• 1 decade ago

Personally, if I'm chewing gum, I am less likely to eat snacks and other food that I don't really need. It does not make me lose calories, but it definitely prevents me from consuming more!

Mags

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

well... it averages about 5 calories... if you think that chewing burns over 5 calories then... SURE!

• pudge
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

it probably burns about a whopping 5 calories while exercising lol.

• 1 decade ago

only a very minuscule amount.

like i wouldnt replace gun chewing with your daily cardio workout. lol. thats too bad though.

• 1 decade ago

only on ur cheeks

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.