Haarin K asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

does gum make u lose calories?

i dunno, it's something my friend said to me

• Jen
    Favorite Answer

In the first ever study of the energy cost of chewing gum, researchers found chewing gum will burn an additional 11 Cal/hr compared to not chewing gum.

They noted that if the individual chewed a non-caloric gum during normal waking hours and if the individual's energy balance did not change, that individual could lose about 11 lbs of body fat in a year.

Surprisingly, yes =]

It depends on the type of gum.

Sugar free gums will usually burn off for the average gum chewing time. Its only about 3-5 calories.

It takes an hour of chewing to burn 11 calories.

Well chewing gum when your hungry tricks your brain into thinking that you are eating something, so you end up not being as hungry. So I guess in that way it makes you lose calories. But a regualr stick of gum actually has 5 calories just by itself.

Personally, if I'm chewing gum, I am less likely to eat snacks and other food that I don't really need. It does not make me lose calories, but it definitely prevents me from consuming more!

Mags

well... it averages about 5 calories... if you think that chewing burns over 5 calories then... SURE!

• pudge

it probably burns about a whopping 5 calories while exercising lol.

only a very minuscule amount.

like i wouldnt replace gun chewing with your daily cardio workout. lol. thats too bad though.

only on ur cheeks