Gated community or not???

Some members of my neighborhood are bringing up the subject of having a gated community. I think this is rediculous. My community is very diverse, low-middle income for the most part, and in the almost 20 years I've lived there I've had no problems with criminal activity. There have been some car thefts and... show more Some members of my neighborhood are bringing up the subject of having a gated community. I think this is rediculous. My community is very diverse, low-middle income for the most part, and in the almost 20 years I've lived there I've had no problems with criminal activity. There have been some car thefts and a few break ins but that's it.

A gated community is elitist as far as I'm concerned, a status symbol that is not appropriate for my community. We are certainly not a wealthy group of people. But there are a few people who are adament about this. I think they are crazy. We are not in Beverly Hills. What do you think?