What happened to the families that lived where the State of Israel is now located?

I suppose there were Arab families -- men, women and children -- who lived there prior to the establishment of the State of Israel by the UN. I supposed there were people who had lived in the same houses and who had cultivated the same fields for generations before 1947. What happened to them? Were they kicked out... show more I suppose there were Arab families -- men, women and children -- who lived there prior to the establishment of the State of Israel by the UN. I supposed there were people who had lived in the same houses and who had cultivated the same fields for generations before 1947. What happened to them? Were they kicked out of their houses and out of their landed properties? Is that why the neighboring Arab countries started to attack the artificial nation as soon as it was created?
Feel free to correct me but please give me facts.