Jake Z asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

In Silence of the Lambs, what was that cream they put under their noses when looking at the dead girl?

What is its name, what's its purpose, and how does it work?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It's actually Vick's Vapo-rub. The strong Mentholatum smell overpowers the smell of that poor girl's rotting body. It's an old police trick; I've used it myself, but not for a body - for spoiled meat from a broken freezer!

• Gene1 year agoReport

Doesn't work well. It opens up your nasal passages. That's why it's used during head colds

• 3 years ago

Silence Of The Dead

• Joy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Unless there's a new one, Vaseline doesn't have a smell. They probably used Vick's Vapour Rub. It smells strongly of Camphor, Eucalyptus oil and Menthol .

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Howdy! Someone in my Twitter feed shared this page so I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting it to my followers!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Vapo Rub. It overpowers the stench of a corpse and makes it possible for you to do your investigative work in a very smelly room or place.

Source(s): Have used it.
  • 1 decade ago

Vicks Vapo-Rub, so the vapors go up your nose instead of the stench of decomposition.

• 1 decade ago

Vasaline, and the other thing that is often used is Vicks vapor rub. It helps hide the smell.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's mentholated, I believe, or has some other scent that covers up the smell of dead bodies.

• 1 decade ago

Vick's. I think that is mentioned in the book.

• 1 decade ago

vasileen it helps with the smell read the book they talk about it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.