Taking a 1 year old to Costa Rica?

My husband and I would like to go to Costa Rica with our 1 year old child. Is this do-able? I don't want to stay at a big fancy resort, but we'd ideally rent a car and spend a few days each at a different part of the country. We'd like to stay in smaller hotels/bungalows etc and see things "on... show more My husband and I would like to go to Costa Rica with our 1 year old child. Is this do-able? I don't want to stay at a big fancy resort, but we'd ideally rent a car and spend a few days each at a different part of the country. We'd like to stay in smaller hotels/bungalows etc and see things "on our own" for the most part. Is this a crazy idea with a 1 year old?

Any recommendations for places to stay or things to do? We definitely want to see the rainforest............
Update: Edited to add:
I know my daughter won't remember anything about it, but we want to go to celebrate a milestone anniversary, and think we may just take her vs. leaving her with a g'parent.