Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what is a blue corn moon?

Favorite Answer

Dear Sir: I have been trying to find what a Blue Corn Moon represents ion Indian Lore. Can you please Help me with this information? Thank you, Lloyd Sparks

Dear Mr. Sparks: Thanks for your interest. I feel somewhat guilty to have to tell you that the phrase "blue corn moon" has no actual meaning in Indian lore. I made it up because I liked the sound of it. Its basis is this: In preparation for doing the lyrics to POCAHONTAS, I read a lot of Native American poetry. One of the phrases I came across, in a love poem, was : "I will come to you in the moon of green corn." (The Native Americans called their months "moons" and named them according to something that happened seasonally, such as the arrival of green corn.) The phrase stuck in my head, but I didn't think the lyric : "Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the green corn moon" really worked, because of the association of the moon and green cheese, plus the "ee" sound in it, etc. So I changed it to blue corn moon, which I thought had a nice resonance to it because of the phrase "blue moon" and the fact that there are things like blue corn tortillas, etc. Even though it's not authentic, and actually implies Southwestern tribes rather than the Northeastern Algonkians of Pocahontas, I used it in the lyric and it obviously served me very well. This is probably far more than you wanted to know, but that's the derivation of the phrase, for whatever it's worth to you. Sincerely, Stephen Schwartz

• ?

Blue Corn Moon

• The green corn moon is the Full Moon in September.

and have you ever heard the wolf cry to it?

A blue moon is when there is an extra full moon in a year cycle. It happens infrequently, which is where we got the saying 'once in a blue moon'.

A blue corn moon is the same thing. The 'corn' part has something to do with planting/harvesting, but I'm not sure what.

Hope that helps.

when you drop pants and bend over in a corn field on a chilly night