Does it disturb anyone else that it's still pretty much necessary for presidential candidates to proclaim ...

that they "believe in God"? I was thinking about it after watching a quick "short answer" interview with Obama (on NBC, I think?) Friday morning, in which one of Anne Curry's sudden out-of-nowhere questions was, "Do you believe in God?" Of course, since he's a regular Christian... show more that they "believe in God"? I was thinking about it after watching a quick "short answer" interview with Obama (on NBC, I think?) Friday morning, in which one of Anne Curry's sudden out-of-nowhere questions was, "Do you believe in God?" Of course, since he's a regular Christian church-goer, he answered yes.

I am atheist/agnostic and wish we could have an educated, non-religious presidential candidate, except it would probably throw conservative America into hysteria and ruin any non-religious candidate's chances. Why is it so difficult to keep all this personal "God" crap out of our government?
Update: Um, many of the "Founding Fathers" were not Christian at all, but deists, freethinkers, and even freemasons (George Washington, James Madison). And many of the values that indeed are Christian are shared by many other faiths, including Islam. "Regardless, the division of church and state was... show more Um, many of the "Founding Fathers" were not Christian at all, but deists, freethinkers, and even freemasons (George Washington, James Madison). And many of the values that indeed are Christian are shared by many other faiths, including Islam.

"Regardless, the division of church and state was always emphasized by the founding fathers. "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion," states the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli. This document was ratified by Congress without much debate or contention and stands today as a reminder of the founding fathers' intentions" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fa... ).