Considering religious faith, is the important element the effort entailed, or the adherence to strict rules?

Consider this for a moment; with such differences of opinion concerning religion, does it make sense for "God" to be so embroiled in the petty arguing of humans concerning such matters? As most religious differences of opinion are culturally based, how can we say that one culturally-inspired interpretation of religion is superior to another? It would seem that "God", as a superior being, really would be rather disinterested in such things; these matters really are no more than window dressing for spiritual contemplations, not the source material itself.

Bearing this in mind, though, isn't what counts the effort entailed to reach fullfillmet through religious faith? Not even religious faith, actually, but an investment of faith in ideals and values--although for most persons, admittedly, these take the form of culturally sanctioned religious forms.

So, is "God" really so interested in the differences of opinion man holds, or only interested in an honest effort at enlightenment?

Edit: Misspelling, "fullfillmet" should read "fulfillment". My apologies.

Favorite Answer

I see what you're saying. Take for example the concept of Hell. What does it matter to God if you believe in it or not? Or where God came from? Or if Jesus is God etc? These things are not important for humans. What is important, is living a full and rich life. The Bible can give us advice on how to live in a manner that will not only benefit us, but also give pleasure to our heavenly father. What is one of the greatest commandments ever given to man? Love thy Neighbour as thyself. If humans could just abide by that, I think 90% of our problems would vanish!

We should not Love God and our neighbour out of fear of punishment. We should do it out of the goodness of our hearts.

As God put it, all this bickering about 'man made' traditions are merely 'stumbling blocks' in our effort to achieve a solid faith and enlightenment.

God is no respecter of persons and so if by "interested in differences of opinion" you mean the persons or Peoples espousing the opinion, the answer is no, God is not interested in differences of opinion.

However, if what you mean is the culture being advocated, the answer if a definite Yes! God is absolutely interested in the preserving of a specific culture and so differences of opinion, by the cultures, do matter.

Today what is called "Christian" is the true "Jew" (Notice I did not say Judaism for that is not the culture God is promoting). God's work is seeking to exalt the "Jew" -- those who worship Him in spirit and in truth. For He said, in the manifesed form of Jesus Christ, "Salvation is of the Jews", yet Judaism as we know it today does not acknowledge Christ as the Messiah and /or God in the flesh.

'How can we say one culturally inspired interpretation of religion is superior to another?' We can say it because not only does the one true and living God promote it in His Word, but also the Creator of the universe would be a fool to exalt one who faithfully operates in a Godless religion or a religion of many different gods. To do such would afford the Creator absolutely NO glory. It's like plagiarism or intellectual property violation: Another receives the credit for the Author's work

Would you create the Grand Canyon or a stunning sunrise and have your beautiful creations exalt another as their Creator? You may say yes, but God would not. That is because His creation is "dulled" when it operates "falsely" or when it "misses the mark". The Creation SHINES when it is

"true" or when it hits the "bullseye". At such times, God, the Creator is glorified. His only intent is that His creation SHINES for when it does, He does.

Only One can be True. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

• Joy S

You say, "isn't what counts the effort entailed to reach fulfillment through religious faith?"

I would say that this is true of most religions including some "Christian" denominations. The difference between a personal relationship w Jesus and our effort is that God in His mercy knew that no matter how much effort a mortal human being puts into faith, it wouldn't be enough to reach Almighty God. The Bible tends to agree w your assessment that God is not "embroiled in the petty arguing of humans" afterall it says "what is man that you are mindful of him?" and yet God indeed is mindful of His creation and in fact so in love with us that He made a way to escape this life where our efforts fail by living a perfect sinless life and dying in our place. God is alive and interacting w us and He asks nothing but that we believe and even that He creates the faith in our hearts through Himself, the Spirit. Other "gods" ask for obedience, good works, spirituality, and etc. The one true God asks for all of that too but then provides a way to pay for the fact that it is impossible for us to be perfect or to be gods.

Source(s): Years and years of study and arguement with God and self and others about religion. I wanted to KNOW and now I know that finite me cannot comprehend infinite God. Raised on science and technology/mankind as "God" in atheism, I tried many other religions before recieving God's grace and even now in my sinful self forget that it is ALL about HIM and not all about me!
  • Annie

I personally do not do religion, which in fact is legalism, the effort of man to WORK their way into Gods graces..... tisk, tisk....... Grace is FREE by the FINISHED work of the Cross, in Christianity that is, there is NOTHING that can be added or taken away that will insure a place in the Kingdom..... There are SOME harmless *religious rituals* , that I do not think God really worries much about, then there are others I believe that He does..... I think He cares very much about the *effort* of faith...... *Sigh*, not sure what I want to say here, hope I did not make a total idiot of myself.... would not be the first time, nor will it probably be the last !!!!! go in peace...... God bless

Hmmm should I be choosing just one? LOL! Eeek too hard. Will just write my first thought for each thing: Adherence to rules: I do go by the "rules" for the most part, but it is more for ethical reasons and because I am very honest as well. I don't follow rules for rules sake and do not think that they are the most important thing Adherence to laws: ehh, kind of the same as above, maybe a strong connotation as laws are more concrete than rules maybe. Again, if I am aware of them, and it is possible to adhere to them, then I do. Don't see any reason to break a low but I am not a law enforcer perse. Adherence to ethics: I'd say that I am ethical. It is like innate in me. I like to win, but will not win by any means necessary. Cheating to win, is not winning at all imo. Adherence to fairness: Yes, I like fairness. Very important to me and it annoys me when people don't play fair. Kind of linked w. ethics I guess. Again, if you didn't play fair, then you didn't win to me. Adherence to truth: I love truth. It is extremely important to me. An honest person, even if what they are telling me is awful, will still get my respect for not being a liar. I just love honesty and am definitely closer to people who are direct and honest Adherence to people feelings: I have a high regard for peoples feelings. I do consider how a person will feel or how it might make them feel when making a decision or before saying something. I do not think feelings are the end all of all things, but I do give them consideration. However, logic, fairness, truth, and ethics, will win over selfish feelings (like, I think it's okay to go after this married man because I love him and want to have him---those are stupid feelings and will not be given any consideration from me). Me: Sun: Sadge, Moon: Leo, Mercury: Capricorn, Venus and Mars: Scorpio

if i were God, I would whole-heartedly agree with you. (excuse my poor spelling too please~)

However, i am not credited with being the one who inspired the conscription of the Bible ... sooo....

Based on the Bible, it claims that there is One True God, and,

based on the teachings of strict Biblists, there is also only 1 true interpretation of God, all others are false. And, within the interpretation of God, is the idea that all of Gods commandments and teachings are to be taken literally and adhered to. There is a verse they love to quote~

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. - Romans 12:1

that doesnt leave much room 4 error or differing opinion, does it? XD.

But like I said, I didn't write it...

I have noticed that people tend to put the sin label on just about every thing,

in Paul's writings He had been so indoctrinated into the law that he had a tendency to carry some of them into his teachings.

and yet he was told by God, that God's grace was sufficient.

in America, it is considered a sin to drink alcohol, yet fine to drink coffee, while in Germany, beer is fine while coffee is considered a sin.

at least it was when I was there.

God looks at the Heart not at the external, Jesus said it is not what goes into the mouth, but what comes out of it.

for what come out of the mouth in what is in your heart.

the biggest road block between God, and man is religion.

Source(s): jcms
  • (:P)

God is really interested in an honest effort for us to love one another. That in itself is the greatest commandment of all.

• Leela

Yes. God wants us to separate the spiritual wheat from the dogmatic chaff.

The most important thing is realizing the incredible love the God who created the universe has for YOU, and having a relationship with Him.

BTW, thanks for the correction. Spelling and grammar are my pet peeves.