Resume writing tips?

I am currently updating my resume. I've run into a slight problem - many of the companies that I've worked for I started off at entry level and moved my way up to a higher position. Should I list these as two completely different entries, or combine them?

My resume (for the same company) currently looks like the following:

January 2005 - May 2007 Clerk

May 2007 - Present Supervisor

Or should I do it like this:

January 2005 - May 2007: initial position Clerk, promoted to Supervisor

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When I am looking at resumes I want to see where they currently are with their skills, so I would suggest the 1st option and drop the initial clerk. You can always have a summery at the end explaining you started as a clerk, it will look really good and also show that you are a "quick learner". A straight to the point resume is best... but at the same time include what you have learned and your personal qualities! Good luck job hunting : )

Source(s): Just a smart girl!
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

i did mine like the first. employers will be able to see better the good job you're doing if you use the dates...if they see it's been a short amount of time between promotions they are more likely to grasp your work ethics and you just may get the job!!!

good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

leave off the clerk par. just put that your a supervisor

if your using microsoft word they have some really awsome templates. that what i used in making mine

• 1 decade ago

i think, this is only me opinion, i would choose the first one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.