Why is it that some people believe marriage "has no meaning outside of religion"?

I'm agnostic. My fiance was Christian, but he's currently re-examining that. We're getting married this summer, and it means everything to us. It means a great deal to our family and friends. And legally, it means something significant to us as well. I'm often disappointed and saddened (also a... show more I'm agnostic. My fiance was Christian, but he's currently re-examining that. We're getting married this summer, and it means everything to us. It means a great deal to our family and friends. And legally, it means something significant to us as well.

I'm often disappointed and saddened (also a tad offended) when I hear or see people that marriage is meaningless without religion. To me, it's a complete disregard for the love two human beings feel for each other (just because the don't follow a religion).

So, why do people believe or say this? Do they understand the consequences of their harsh words? Isn't this the opposite of what religion teaches (you know, that whole love thing)?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080406201111AAtNBEu&r=w

Source of the quotation was the tenth answer down. In my time on Answers, I have seen this said repeatedly by many people.
Update: I know it doesn't matter. I just want to understand how someone can profess to be a believer in a religion that says love is its focus, yet they spew such hurtful, hateful drivel.
Update 2: "That you promise to be with her, unless you happen to change your mind, in which case you are willing to split your stuff 50/50 ? (or perhaps screw each other over with Lawyers so that neither of you get anything)..." Why do you assume so much? First, I'm female. Secondly, my fiance and I waited a... show more "That you promise to be with her, unless you happen to change your mind, in which case you are willing to split your stuff 50/50 ? (or perhaps screw each other over with Lawyers so that neither of you get anything)..."

Why do you assume so much? First, I'm female. Secondly, my fiance and I waited a very long time and made a very careful decision because we are both vehemently opposed to divorce. Neither of our sets of parents are divorced, and my parents in particular weathered infidelity and children born of that infidelity.

I still believe in commitment. Do you?