Questions about Abraham Lincoln...?

Did Abraham Lincoln believe in human equality? If so, in what sense?

Did his view of African Americans change over time?

• icabod
    Favorite Answer

Lincoln had a dislike of slavery for most of his life. Much was due to his religious upbring and some to the land ownerships battles between his Father and slave owners.

During the Lincoln/Douglas debates he said

"I will say then that I am not, nor have I ever been in the favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races . . . There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I... am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race ... I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position that the negroe should be deprived everything.

Lincoln started his Presidency willing to accept slavery if it would keep the union together"

http://www.lib.niu.edu/1997/ihy970225.html

Lincoln began his Presidency willing to allow slavery if it would keep the union together. "My paramount objective in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slaves, I would do it, if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it." "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." His hope was a Black colony in Africa could be set up and freed slaves sent there. He didn't approve of racial mixing "I protest against this counterfeit logic which concludes that because I do not want a black woman for a slave, I must necessarily want her for a wife."

His Emancipation Proclamation didn't free a single slave. It applied only to areas under Confederate control and left intact slavery in the Union.